Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine dropped this beauty off at my place.
Its a really old Archer 3 speed Raleigh.
With matching fenders and a twenty fork.

Hoping to restore this little beast and probably make it a single speed.

If anybody has any information on it, i would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Sweet find, it'll be a great project.

What kind of info do you want?

700c wheels will fit fine, you might have to bend the fenders a bit, but it can work. The dropouts and fork ends are tiny in diameter, you'll need to file them out if you want to put new wheels/hubs on. For 700c wheels you'll need new brakes, for new brakes you'll need to drill the back of the fork for the internal sleeve nut thing. Dropout spacing is a bit funny, 120mm will fit in the back but you'll need to spread it a bit.

Also, fixies are going away, 3speeds are going to be the next big thing.

If you want info about the bike, the hub will have the year etched into it

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am just hoping to find some historical info on this bike.
The year is not etched on the hub or i can't read it due to the rust on it.

I dont think the restoration will be %100 original, but i will stay true to the spirit of this bike.

So much rust to get rid of.

It will not be a fixie, but i was thinking to do a single speed for simplicity. If i can get the archer to get working, it will stay.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
Well, you've got steel rims, which suck. You're going to need to replace them if you really want to ride this bike.

How about this- get yerself some polished alloy rims (they'll look like shiny steel but yer brakes will actually grab them)- sun CR-18 rims come in 27" as well, so you won't need to get new brakes.

Get the hubs rebuilt and laced up with the new alloy rims- figure, what, 60 for the rims+100 for wheelbuilding and hub rebuilding... Add a pair of 27" paselas and yer all set.

Then all you need are some decent brake pads and yer ready to roll for another 50 years...

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
buck-50 said:
Well, you've got steel rims, which suck. You're going to need to replace them if you really want to ride this bike.

How about this- get yerself some polished alloy rims (they'll look like shiny steel but yer brakes will actually grab them)- sun CR-18 rims come in 27" as well, so you won't need to get new brakes.

Get the hubs rebuilt and laced up with the new alloy rims- figure, what, 60 for the rims+100 for wheelbuilding and hub rebuilding... Add a pair of 27" paselas and yer all set.

Then all you need are some decent brake pads and yer ready to roll for another 50 years...
I'm pretty sure that bike uses 650c wheels, not 27", so he would definitely need new brakes, and possibly new fenders if he went with 27" rims.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
threesportsinone said:
I'm pretty sure that bike uses 650c wheels, not 27", so he would definitely need new brakes, and possibly new fenders if he went with 27" rims.
Ooooh... that'd suck.

I always just assume all old bikes are running 27s...

New 650c rims are available- I'm still thinking replacing the rims with modern alloy rims would be a good, cheap option...

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
buck-50 said:
Ooooh... that'd suck.

I always just assume all old bikes are running 27s...

New 650c rims are available- I'm still thinking replacing the rims with modern alloy rims would be a good, cheap option...
It's not that bad, the frame and fenders have enough clearance for 700c rims with decent sized tires, so any new rims should be fine. 700c rims gives you lots more tire options as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its a 26" er.
And i will probably replace the rims with the set i have from a 70s CCM. It also has an archer 3 speed which works beautifully too.

Its just not that fast of a ride. I wouldn't mind a fast riding and handling english old timer.

It definitely needs a brooks though.
I will keep you updated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.