Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my new ride finally. I posted it in the Jamis forum, but I am not sure how many people go there. Anyway here are the specs and a few pictures. Hope you enjoy!

View attachment 127445

View attachment 127446

View attachment 127447

View attachment 127448

View attachment 127449

Frame: 2008 Jamis Xenith SL ulta-high modulus carbon 54cm
Forks: Jamis Xenith SL carbon dropouts
Headset: Cane Creek
Handlebars: Easton EC90 SLX carbon 44cm
Stem: Easton EA90 120mm
Seatpost: Easton EC90 carbon
Seat: Selle Italia SLR Carbonio Flow
Shifters: Sram Red
Cables: Gore RideOn
Cranks: FSA K Force Light hollow carbon w/MegaExo Ceramic BB
Front Derailleur: Sram Red
Rear derailleur: Sram Red
Casette: Sram Red 10 speed
Chain: KMC X10SL w/ ti-nitride coating
Brakes: Sram Red
Wheels: Zipp 404 clinchers
Tires: Michelin Pro Race 3's
Tubes: Michelin
Skewers: Zipp
Computer: Cateye Wireless/ Garmin Edge 305
Cages: Arundel Dave-O matte carbon
Pedals: Look KEO Carbon Cromo

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. It did come with tubulars, but I swapped them out for the much heavier clinchers because I am using them as everyday wheels. I will probably build up a really light pair of climbing wheels when I get a chance. Total weight with everything on it, came to 14.5lbs. :thumbsup:

·
On the wrong floor again
1,138 Posts
My last ride was a Jamis, but it didn't fit well. IMO Jamis is very underrated. Sweet ride!!!

Tim

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The gold chain does look a little out of place--I would've gone for a Wipperman, SRAM or even Campy. I also would've gone with a SRAM Red crank...it looks nice in person. In any case, the bike is awesome.

·
Polka Power
1,348 Posts
Because short of switching that bike to 404 clinchers/michelin tires from the stock 404 tubies/ vittoria tires, adding the computer/bottle cages, pedals, and switching the saddle....its 100% stock as it comes complete from Jamis.

I'm pretty sure the chain is on there for being a bit lighter, as are the cranks. The chain is cool looking in person. Plus, in theory, the gold Ti Nitride coating might make it last a bit longer.

Jamis does pretty smart builds for the complete bikes, IMO. It's a killer deal too for how it is spec'd.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have on too!

Got one a month ago. Very stiff bike! And I am a Cat 2 roadie in NM, so I say that in a GOOD way!

This is not a tour bike though! If your not hammering, this bike is gonna make your butt hurt after a few hours of spinning easy in the saddle. A more comfy saddle may help though. The ASPide saddle is a lightweight race saddle , for sure!
Tracks very well, not too twitchy, but if your nervous, the bike will be nervous too! I've screamed down some mountain passes, and it flies!
I have the 61cm, and race ready its 14.5 lbs!! Wow!

Get spec for the money!

Keifer
Colavita NM Elite Team

·
Registered
9 Posts
SRAM Red Cassette Issues

The SL came with a 11-23 Red cassette. It will not slide down onto a 2006 Reynolds Stratus clincher, or my 2005 Easton (Velomax) Orion clincher. It does slide onto the Zipp 404 that came with the bike, but you have to push a little to get the last cm or so.
I called Reynolds first, and they said it should fit, and to call SRAM. I called SRAM and they stated that they hadn't heard of this problem. They said make sure the slines on the freehub are not gouged and jagged. My wheels are not like this. I have been using Rival group witht the Powergilde cassettes for two seasons with no problems.
The 11-23 is too tall for most of my racing and riding here in the Rockies, so I haven't used it yet. I have been using my Rival 11-26 cassettes, but that sacrifices about 100 grams of weight. I have a flat race coming up that will use the Zipp/11-23 Red combination. We'll see if the Red cassette tries gets stuck on the hub.
I also have another friend that said his Red Cassette didn't fit on his older wheel. I'm not sure what he did about it though.
Keifer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jamis Comfort Update-Keifer's

I just replaced the San Marco ASPide saddle with my trusty Selle Italia Flite Gel saddle (classic shape, 1 year old) and the comfort level has gone way up! My butt just doesn't like ultralight saddles on the road. I've tried Selle It. SLRs too.
Actual weight of the ASPide is 180g, not 135g by the way. By Flite Gel is 280g actual, so I added 100g, but LOADS of rideability! There's some pretty good flex happening at the head of the seatpost (EC90 with 2.5 cm setback), so that is helping too.
I have a 220g New style white Flite Gel on order, to keep with the white saddle scheme.
My old Flite is blue. It doesn't look right.
Aren't saddle getting EXPENSIVE these days? I remember pricey ones being $70 not $200+! Falling US Dollar Value maybe???
FYI
Keith

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.