Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Memorial weekend was good with the sales going on. With my car in the body shop to have the bumper painted, I've taken the rental car on tourist trips. No sightseeing would be appropriate without stopping by a bike shop or 5. :D

I'd been into Nytro in Encinitas before but since most the bikes were above my cycling budget, all I could do is drool. Hanging overhead, I caught the word "small" so I asked them to pull this one down...looking over the geometry specs, it was within range. It was more $$ than I wanted to spend since I was looking for sub $2K so I left after leaving a trail of more drool. About 10 minutes down the road, I did a U-turn and went back for a test ride...much to the wife's urging at the time to just ride it since I was there. (Wife knew me better than I did myself.)

Just about every frame I looked in my proper size was 53cm+ TT with headtubes 120mm or above: Orbea, Look... XS was just at the other extreme of being short in other areas. I had stopped by a Waterford dealer the day before inquiring about one of those builds. I had already become prepared that I would not be able to find a box/shelf bike to fit. Fortunately this one came in almost right to size...enough that I felt comfortable to buy. Yesterday, I went in for a fitting. Had the compact Shimano crank swapped out for the 52-39 Ultegra and a 12-23 cassette. I wanted an 11-21 but they didn't have any.

This is the initial ride following the fit. Riding that part of HWY 101 along the coast towards San Diego is nice. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
... schweet ride... and meaning no disrespects to forum members who own CF Giants, Treks or Specialized... it's nice to have something that stands out a bit from the crowd!

I've got an older Kuota Ksano and love both the ride, it's looks... and the looks I gets as folks try to figure out what it is!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. :)

manhattanproj said:
more pics of the bike would be nice. i'm thinking about a kuota for my next bike too. what are your other rides?
I'll snap some close-up pics and post them. My other rides are a completely different generation of bike. A well ridden Atala with Shimano 600/Ultegra and a Vitus 979 with Shimano 600 both built in '89 and '90 respectively.

·
Registered
587 Posts
You really can't go wrong with a Kuota. They make a quality riding/racing rig. I am surprised that some of the American Teams haven't hit them up for a Sponsorship. I love my Khan. It's a fantastic long range bike. I did the LotoJa Race (Logan UT to Jackson Hole WY) 200 miles and the bike was a wonderful companion during the long climbs. No complaints here. I'm happy to see another satisfied customer waving his Kuota Banner.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have had mine for a little over a year and love it. And it is nice to go on a group ride and not see one like it. Around here it gets lots of attention. This is it right after I got it. It has went through some minor changes since then mainly bar and pedals.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some quick grab shots:
This is the "Nude Silver" paint scheme.

Oops, missed a shot of the rear triangle. :eek:ut:

I dunno why they install a Dura Ace-RD, I guess to make the buyer feel more confident getting a top shelf part than the whole gruppo. I may just put the 6600 RD on for continuity.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice bike. I got a Kharma for the exact same reason--The orbea's and Looks and some other brands go from 48 to 51cm frames. The 48's were too small and the 51's felt big even if they could be made to fit. The small Kuota is a 50 and as you mention, long enough in the top tube but not too long.

I love mine. The more I ride it the better if feels. It has me climbing better and the it is stable and quick handling on the descents. Built it up myself.

Attached a picture of mine at Alpine Dam outside of Fairfax, CA

·
Registered
397 Posts
Nice! I've had mine for two years now, and it's my favorite CF bike (and I own a number of high zoot CF bikes). Enjoy!

P.S. How much is Nytro paying you sport their logo on your top tube? A small seat tube shop decal is one thing, but slapping on a large store logo on the TT is no-no.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MerckxMad said:
Nice! I've had mine for two years now, and it's my favorite CF bike (and I own a number of high zoot CF bikes). Enjoy!

P.S. How much is Nytro paying you sport their logo on your top tube? A small seat tube shop decal is one thing, but slapping on a large store logo on the TT is no-no.
Thanks. :)
Agreed about the additional advertising...the decals came off yesterday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.