Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my new rig form the LBS last night. Bought all the components on line or ebay.

LD-736R frame, 806 Aero Carbon Fork

FSA Headset

Ultegra 9 speed Cranks, Front and Rear Derailleurs

Dura Ace 9 Speed Brifters

105 Brakes (black to match frame)

Nashbar Carbon Seat Post, Race Lite Saddle, OS stem, OS Ergo Bars, Bottle Cages, Bar Tape, Torumalet Pedals

Neuvation M-28 Aero Wheels, Vittoria 700x23 Tires

Haven't ridden it yet, can't wait til tomorrow morning...........

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not too bad, charged me 70 bucks, and they supplied tubes and rim tape. The Trek factory store by me wanted $150. So if anyone lives on the south side of Chicago, give Byron's Bike Shop in Homewood a try...(Ben or Kyle).It did take 2 weeks though........they were swamped, you wouldn't believe the amount of "vintage" bikes that people are bringing in lately because of gas prices.......

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Looks great. Evil black attack.

·
Registered
191 Posts
So how much did the bike cost you in total to build?

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
with assembly, around $1300.00. Not too bad, especially with the dura ace brifters. And I'll have to see how the wheels work. I'm a clyde at about 210 lbs and usually ride on 32 spoke wheels......

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I rode the "Dark Knight" into work today, about 15 miles. (haven't got the computer yet) It rode like a dream. Fork is very forgiving but stiff enough. I need to tweak a few things, but other than that, no complaints. On the way home, I'm gonna run down to the Old Plank Trail, and throw about another 40 miles on this baby, put her theough the paces and give her a real test. It's definitely much lighter than my old Trek. So far so good.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,888 Posts
nit picking

Nice bike. I like Leader bikes. They are a good value. I have an older Leader track bike (735TR). I was thinking about getting one of their newer 735TR frames but there is one thing that's bugging me about the newer Leader frames: it's the junction between a round seat post and aero shaped seat tube. Asthetically, for me, it looks awkward. I just wish they made some sort of fairing.

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JaeP said:
Nice bike. I like Leader bikes. They are a good value. I have an older Leader track bike (735TR). I was thinking about getting one of their newer 735TR frames but there is one thing that's bugging me about the newer Leader frames: it's the junction between a round seat post and aero shaped seat tube. Asthetically, for me, it looks awkward. I just wish they made some sort of fairing.
yeah, that is one drawback, I know a couple of manf's make a bladed seatpost that has a 27.2 tube. I can;t remember what brand it is but one company makes different sizes so that the round tube part is as small as possible and all you see is the aero tube

something like this.

http://www.all3sports.com/product_i...led=1&osCsid=6f4f9fe441b63517f6260593401f04f8

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I did 40 miles after work and I love the new ride. It's a rocket ship compared to my 2004 Trek 1500. Definitely a keeper!

·
What the Hell is going on
5,888 Posts
I'm glad you like your new bike. Congradulations!

I remember Specialized made a snap-on plastic fairing for one of their bikes. Maybe if I have some extra money and time on my hands I'll try to make a fairing of some sort out of carbon fiber.

·
Registered
120 Posts
jaegermeister269 said:
So I did 40 miles after work and I love the new ride. It's a rocket ship compared to my 2004 Trek 1500. Definitely a keeper!
I have a Leader 736R as well, and it's a rocket compared to many bikes. Mine is a bit small for me so I don't ride it much, but it definitely feels faster and quicker than my '06 Trek Discovery Channel Madone SSLx which cost me 5 times more than my Leader. I'm overhauling my Leader right now (it's been crashed 4 times-twice by me two years ago, and twice this year when I lent it out to a friend), replacing the Leader fork with an Easton EC90 SLX, the seatpost with an Alien seatpost, the Bonty Race Lites with Mavic Ksyrium SL's, the Ultegra drive train with an all Dura Ace drive train, the Fizik Arione with a Selle San Marco Aspide FX, the Deda stem and bars with Easton EC90 stem and bars, and I'll be painting the blemishes on the frame. I'll post a photo when I'm done later this summer. My son who is sprouting vertically will be inheriting this bike since he is rapidly outgrowing his Trek KDR 1000.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Gorgeous bike! Very Black Ops looking. Or stealth, or ninja, or....
It's a great bike, very underrated bike, performs as well or better than bikes costing 2-3 times as much (or more) with similarly configured components. Yes, I have one-and I think it's quicker than my more expensive race bikes (which I built up after I bought my Leader)
Again, hot looking bike. Take some pictures outdoors too.

·
I Am a Meat Popsicle
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
By Request.........

took a couple of pics outside this morning..........

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.