Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, my new bike got delivered today. It's a Look 585Ultra with Campy Chorus. I went for compact gearing and a classic bend handlebar. And yes, those are carbon tubular wheels.

It weighs in at just under 15 lbs.

:)

·
Super Moderator
19,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lets_ride said:
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!!

I'm bike shopping now myself. There's a Look on the short list, but it's at the very top of my price range.
The new Trek Madones are really great. As well as the Orbeas. Have fun shopping.

·
Sharp
1,695 Posts
il sogno said:
Hey y'all, my new bike got delivered today. It's a Look 585Ultra with Campy Chorus. I went for compact gearing and a classic bend handlebar.

It weighs in at just under 15 lbs.

:)
Looks great Sogno, we have very similar tastes in bikes :thumbsup:. Wow, they even pack it with the bar tape in place!

I'd love to hear how you like the compact gears, what chain/cassette combo did you go for? I really thought it through carefully when getting my colnago set up with them but regret it and hate 'em. With the current gearing combination, I cant maintain any rhythm across ring changes, jumps feel way too big, so am experimenting on a different combination on my soon to be finished commuting bike - hopefully that will suit me better.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
My compact crankset came 50/34 and I hated the big jump between chainrings. Much happier with a 36.

Have you thought about changing chainrings? (Cheaper than replacing the crankset) A 48-36 with a 11-23 will give you about the same range as a 53-39 w/ 12-25.

Sorry for the diversion...

·
Super Moderator
19,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jorgy said:
My compact crankset came 50/34 and I hated the big jump between chainrings. Much happier with a 36.

Have you thought about changing chainrings? (Cheaper than replacing the crankset) A 48-36 with a 11-23 will give you about the same range as a 53-39 w/ 12-25.

I just only took it out for a brief ride today. I'm not crazy about the compact crankset. It just seems I'm cross chained most of the ride.

And the first time I shifted from the big chainring to the small one the chain came off and wound up hanging from the bottom bracket.

It think it's going to take some getting used to.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
il sogno said:
I just only took it out for a brief ride today. I'm not crazy about the compact crankset. It just seems I'm cross chained most of the ride.

And the first time I shifted from the big chainring to the small one the chain came off and wound up hanging from the bottom bracket.

awesome awesome awesome! i dig it. :cool: :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

i didn't like my compact either. it is standard cranks for me from now on.

·
Sharp
1,695 Posts
il sogno said:

Yep, I hear you on the cross chaining, and the chain coming off repeatedly. I lose not just one ring top and bottom to avoid cross chaining, but at least two - sheesh!

This was my experience:- my mister finally worked out that it was the fixed position of the front derallieur that was contributing to the problem. It was too far away from the large, 50 cog ring. But on this particular frame (I guess because it is carbon), there is no way to adjust the position of the F.D on the post to compensate for a smaller ring, it can't be moved up or down i.e any closer as it is usual, it needs to be fixed in one position. So F.D adjustments are more limited. In short, this frame really doesn't suit a compact crankset. Damn, neither the LBS nor the fitter ever mentioned this could be a problem.

Might be an entirely different story on your Look, but have a look at the F.D position.

jorgy said:

Thanks for your input Jorgy, yep, the man is definitely looking at different ring options for me (I think he mentioned something like a 48-36 for the commuter) but the kicker on the Colnago might be the F.D. position. (I might have to stick to flats to ride it. :D )

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Looks great! I just received my 586 frame in the mail yesterday. Pics are sure to come when it's all built up.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
good looking bike you got there.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Make sure that Mapei tunes the FD to work best on the 50 for all ten cogs. Use the 34 for your climbs, on the lower range of the cassette. With the right tweaking on the FD, the 50 should give you the right gearing for most of your ride time.

·
Super Moderator
19,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thinkcooper said:
Make sure that Mapei tunes the FD to work best on the 50 for all ten cogs. Use the 34 for your climbs, on the lower range of the cassette. With the right tweaking on the FD, the 50 should give you the right gearing for most of your ride time.
I forgot to mention that I'm running my 11-23 cassette on these wheels. This might explain why I'm spending so much time cross chained.

I will ask Mappy to check out the FD. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Beautiful bike!

The chain should not come off when shifting from large to small chainring if FD is properly adjusted.

Put some electrical tape around the bottom bracket to prevent scratches if the chain come off as you're fine-tuning your bike.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,656 Posts
dam purdy, methinks :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.