Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Milwaukee a few weeks back to visit a buddy and had to go to Bens Cycle and check out the Orange One. Well, I bought a frame on the spot and had them ship it to me. I had to have one.

Yesterday, after a crappy depressing day of going to my grandmother's funeral, I had a little shot of joy when I got home to discover the frame had arrived. Needless to say, I wasted no time getting it built up into a somewhat rideable condition.

Got it out for a decent ride today, even with a non-functioning front brake. I've come to several conclusions about riding in general (for me):

1. Steel rocks. I've got a great steel MTB, but haven't ridden a steel road bike since my original Panasonic DX1000 back in the 80's. I'll admit...I've partaken of the Kool-aid, and will most likely have my next serious road bike made of steel. I've always been an aluminum/Cannondale kind of guy because I didn't want to lose power tranfer (you know, because I'm SUCH a pro-rider and all), and I'll admit, the CAAD5 is pretty decent, but the ride on this frame is nicer, even with skinnier tires.

2. I've always bought frames that are too small. My primary concern was always standover height vs. top tube length. This bike is much more laid-out than the CAAD5, feels great on the body. It's got a much roomier cockpit. I'm not going to be so concerned with how much seatpost is showng any more. This is a much better way to go.

I'm very impressed with the quality of the bike, and the way I was treated by the guys at Ben's. The owner Vince showed me around their whole operation, and I was blown away. Seems like a top-notch place.

At five bills for the frame, it's not as cheap as an entry level complete ride, but it totally blows away the Langster I logged lots of miles on over the last few years. What a great bike.

Here are a few pics...

Brooks K.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Super hot bike man. I really dig those Milwaukee's. I was looking into them for my first fixie. Were they able to make you a frame without cable guides? Or can I just not see them?

Either way, that's a very slick looking bike. What kind of wheels/hubs do you have built up on there? Thanks for the pics!

joe

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
nice, Nice, NICE...

Congrats on the new frameset! It looks really nice. I still haven't pulled the trigger but am about to on a 56cm frameset minus the TT cable stops (just spoke to Jim today, via email). Enjoy it. =)

What size frame is that? I'll unfortunately have more seatpost exposed, as I'm long in the leg but shorter in the torso and the 59cm would be just too big in the TT.

Sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing...

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
Were they able to make you a frame without cable guides? Or can I just not see them?

joe
They can make a frame w/o the cable guides for a $20 upcharge. That's the route I'm going. Joe, how's your Angus? Isn't that what you ended up with? Part of me wishes the Milwaukee had a 1" threaded fork. Oh well, it's not a showstopper.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JoeDaddio said:
What kind of wheels/hubs do you have built up on there? Thanks for the pics!
Thanks for the complements!

They're the Alex DA-16/Specialized wheels I grabbed from the Langster. I parted ways with the frame a few weeks ago courtesy of eBay. I have a nice set of Superbe Pro/polished aluminum Arayas that I might throw on there eventually. This bike looks great in the entirely orange/silver/black theme. I'm avoiding all things carbon.

I opted for cable guides, as I may run it as a SS crosser in the fall, and will need the rear brake option. They're there, just not visible.

Brooks K.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jtferraro said:
What size frame is that? I'll unfortunately have more seatpost exposed, as I'm long in the leg but shorter in the torso and the 59cm would be just too big in the TT.

Sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing...
Thanks for the condolences...seeing how she was the last few days, it's better she's not in pain any more.

The frame is a 53. I ordinarily run a 50 (or at least I did in the past...probably not so any more). The longer TT is GREAT! I'm a short legged/long torsoed guy, so the sloping TT geometry is actually a great thing for me. I'm totally in love with this bike.

Just as an FYI to those who may purchase one...remember it takes long reach brakes! I forgot that simple matter, and will be waiting a few days for them to get in from the LBS.

By the way, Jim and the guys over there were a pleasure to deal with.

Brooks

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
bkranich said:
The frame is a 53. I ordinarily run a 50 (or at least I did in the past...probably not so any more). The longer TT is GREAT! I'm a short legged/long torsoed guy, so the sloping TT geometry is actually a great thing for me. I'm totally in love with this bike.

Brooks

I have the same issue... I'm 6'3'' and am ALL torso. My pant leg length is 30 and it touches the bottom of my heel. I believe my fixie frame is a 61 or a 62 (can't remember, but the tt difference was 2cm), wheras my Volpe is a 58. Although standover is a bit awquard on the fixie (if I'm standing with both feet unclipped, it looks a little funny) the tt length is perfect. And because I have canoes for feet (I wear a 16), when I'm actually on the bike everything seems to lign up great.

And yeah, I'm diggin the color combo you've got there. It all fits together well. Great bike!

joe

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
sweet headbadge

also digging your Royal Gran Compe brake from 19 years ago. Phat ride.

Are the Arayas that you may use Tubulars or Clinchers? I've got some older Araya Red Label tubies that are polished Al. Nice rims.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Friction_Shifter said:
also digging your Royal Gran Compe brake from 19 years ago. Phat ride.

Are the Arayas that you may use Tubulars or Clinchers? I've got some older Araya Red Label tubies that are polished Al. Nice rims.
Sadly the brake is window dressing for the time being. I threw it on there, and when I went to adjust it, found out I needed a long reach caliper, and the Gran Compe is short reach. I totally dig the caliper, though.

The Arayas are red label clinchers. They're rather bling looking with the Suntour hubs and 36 shiny spokes. I think they're going to find themselves on the bike in short order.

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
SS crosser is a cool idea but you can't run canti brakes (as you know) and are probably a bit limited with respect to tire size - although Ben's claims you can fit 32c's. I just wonder if that's 32c cx tires with both front and rear caliper brakes. Anyway, I like this idea but already have an aluminum (C'dale) geared cx rig. Hmm...do I want the option to take this steel Milwaukee singlespeed cx'ing? Hmm...

·
Fixed Geezer
76 Posts
I've had 700x30 Schwalbe Marathon Slicks on my Milwaukee and there was plenty of room to spare. I think 700x32s would fit fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts