Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks Bigman...

Here it is, up north after it's first ride...

A solid deal from a solid citizen of these forums.

Now,
My question is -
Sure - The paint is a bit rough in spots.. Do I restore? or repaint?
I am inclined to think that restored original paint is more valued than a complete repaint.
(by restore I mean, buff out, touch up and clear coat the spots)..

This is my second Merckx and third bike built on the MAX tube set.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Beautiful!!

If that were my bike, I would NOT repaint, it's beautiful. Spend some time doing touch up and TLC and save the $$ for something else. I honestly dont know what would be worth more- a beautiful repaint is desireous to some, but I don't think you can beat that paint scheme and from what I can see, it has some cable wear and scratches, but the paint looks relatively healthy-strip it down, match some testors, then buff it out. I was in a similar situation with my MXL and I am glad I did not repaint.

b21

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

barry1021 said:
If that were my bike, I would NOT repaint, it's beautiful. Spend some time doing touch up and TLC and save the $$ for something else. I honestly dont know what would be worth more- a beautiful repaint is desireous to some, but I don't think you can beat that paint scheme and from what I can see, it has some cable wear and scratches, but the paint looks relatively healthy-strip it down, match some testors, then buff it out. I was in a similar situation with my MXL and I am glad I did not repaint.

b21
Thanks for the thoughts - I think that is the path I will take on this.

By the way..

Saweeet looking ride

·
Registered
31 Posts
How is it possible that I missed this bike!!! Ahhhh!

Anybody have an MX-L 58-60 they want to get rid of... I'll pay a good price.... I need it.... Seriously... NEED.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Did BigMan make you build it up with Shimano? He's getting a reputation for finding other people Merckx frames. He found my Motorola TSX, but I resisted his attempts to convince me to use non-Campy parts. Nice bike.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nah,

Not an issue with me anyway - I run DuraAce on two other rides anyway !
Came built, and ready to ride and thats exactly what I am doing with it!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
RekibTaf said:
How is it possible that I missed this bike!!! Ahhhh!

Anybody have an MX-L 58-60 they want to get rid of... I'll pay a good price.... I need it.... Seriously... NEED.
Welcome to the forums, we understand your need. Will keep eyes open-is size your only requirement? They are not uncommon on EBAY, altho we have had some nice ones show up here in private transactions

b21

·
Registered
31 Posts
Im actually talking with a guy from this forum ("waydownsouth") over a possible purchase on a 59 right now, ... In nice condition... I think it was one of the NOS from South Africa. Like everyone else, Id love one in Motorolla or Molteni colors... Anything with pink on it isn't my favorite but I wouldn't turn it away.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
RekibTaf said:
Im actually talking with a guy from this forum ("waydownsouth") over a possible purchase on a 59 right now, ... In nice condition... I think it was one of the NOS from South Africa. Like everyone else, Id love one in Motorolla or Molteni colors... Anything with pink on it isn't my favorite but I wouldn't turn it away.
I love Merckx pink, still miss my Telekom Corsa Extra, which i sold last year.
b2.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.