Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
DonRacer
63 Posts
Sweet bike...

Have you had a chance to put it on a scale yet?
Interesting way to do the shift cable routing, I guess the Nokon housing lets you get away with such a bend?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
weight

nazgul said:
Have you had a chance to put it on a scale yet?
Interesting way to do the shift cable routing, I guess the Nokon housing lets you get away with such a bend?

It wieghs 16 lbs even. Yeah, the nokon housing is what allows such tight bends. Everyone said it would be difficult to do, but I didn't think it was bad. As for the benifits of it? It looks awesome, the braking is much improved, but the shifting seems unchanged.

·
Registered
154 Posts
cool looking bike

A question though: what's the deal with the der. cable routing?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nate552 said:
I just built up my Orca frame, thought maybe someone would like some pics.
WOW Thats sexy. I lived in Spain for three years so I have always been partial to Orbeas. Very interesting company. How about a short review?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nothing

BaadDawg said:
Just curious, why would re-routing the cables improve the braking of the Ultegra Brakes?

It has nothing to do with the routing of the cables (and its actually the shift cables being routed differently) , it's the housing itself, which is aluminum ferrules that are compressionless. Unlike regular housing that "squezzes" when you brake, this stuff doesn't so the cable moves more freely.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sexy bike--Love the Nokon setup-I ride it myself and have found that shifting the DA 10 is soooo sensitive!! and the brakes just clamp down; I sometimes wonder just how much pressure is on the rims!! Another plus with the Nokon system is the sheathing that covers the cables leaving a bare minimum exposed thus cutting down on grit and water getting inside.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Gorgeous

My team is sponsored by Orbea, and I've been waiting a couple of months for my Orca. I'm told I have another 2-4 weeks left to wait. It's been hard enough to be patient -- and now I see this! My present race bike is last year's Orbea Lobular Carbon - it's just under 15 1/2 pounds. Not too shabby for 58 cm; and I expect the Orca should be even lighter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I need a cold shower

Wow, that's hot! Imean, yummmm, oooooohhhaaaaaahhhhhh.

I had been eyeing the blue-white Orca (not that I can afford one), but I hadn't seen one set up in that color scheme. And the wheels, I mean really, talk about jealousy. You're a lucky man! Ride it well.

·
lyleseven
490 Posts
Weight of wheels?

Nate552 said:
I just built up my Orca frame, thought maybe someone would like some pics.

Which hubs did you use and what is wt. of wheels? Nice bike. Saw one similar at Interbike in October....

·
pack fodder
442 Posts
Nice ride!

A woman I ride with is having a new Orbea built up now to replace her Waterford (she's friends with the local Orbea rep so she got a great deal). I can't wait to see it when it's complete.

Good luck with your new bike.

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Nice!!

What a beauty! It reminds me a little of the carbon/aluminum C'dale that Simoni rode at the Tour this past year. Is that bike all carbon? I'll have to check it out online to find the specs. Also, how do you like the wheelset?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Nice bike. Looks very similar to a Look KG 486. Interesting what you did to the shifter housing. BTW-your bar tape is wrapped wrong on the one side :) Regardless, nice build.

·
Registered
20 Posts
very sweet bike! ... handle bar tape question

The bike is inspiring.

Is that leather handlebar tape? Where did you find it? I'm looking for something like that in tan / honey to match my Brooks B17.

I read that one can use car steering wheel wrap. And perhaps tennis racquet tape?

Thank you for posting the photos.

Rick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kram59 said:
Nice bike. Looks very similar to a Look KG 486. Interesting what you did to the shifter housing. BTW-your bar tape is wrapped wrong on the one side :) Regardless, nice build.

Actually, I had to wrap it that way. The Stella Azzurra Elongaza tape has perforated holes on one side of the tape. so to do the figure 8 patteren on the bar on that side required me to do that. That way the holes showed all the way from end to end.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts