Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I purchased this bike from a co-worker for $75. I plan to replace the tires, and tubes, along with the handlebar wrap, then use it as a commuter. It needs some cleaning, adjusting, and polishing, but I think I got a pretty good deal. I believe its an 86, PGN10.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Reynolds 531? Possibly English thread bb. If so very good score.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You didn't get a pretty good deal. You got an AMAZING deal. Thats a beautiful bike. Its amazing what a little TLC will do to an old bike. I would consider stripping the whole drive train down and cleaning everything. You'll be amazed at what builds up over 30 years. Plus you'll learn a bit about your bike and really have that connection to it. Other things you may want to consider replacing are your cables if they aren't new. At least lube them and check out to see if there is any cracking in the cable tubes. Congrats, you have a beautiful bike and a fun project to work on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tubing is Reynolds 501, and I am still unsure about the bottom bracket threading. I am planning to clean, and lube everything, including the cables. Thanks for the kind words, and I will continue to update as the project progresses.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
I can see from the Reynolds sticker that the 501 is flat, which means it's butted tubing only in the main triangle. Better models (such as the PX10) have full butted frames, on which the sticker has the numbers 501 on an angle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts