Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I got this Schwinn CrissCross yesterday and am going to be building it up into a cyclocross bike. I still need a few parts like cranks, 26.6 seatpost and saddle.

My goal is to keep the price under $100. Trying to show that you dont need a lot of dough to make a raceable cross bike.

I'll be writing about my tear-down and build up on my website in my sig.

the photo attached is a scan from the 1991 schwinn catalog.

jeremy

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I've thought of making one of those cx-able when I've seen them come through the shop for some fixin'. It should be pretty ridable, I don't know that the geometry will suit racing but it might not be that bad. Definitely heavy, but that's alright. This will hopefully stand as a good example for people on the forum who want a 2nd bike but are short on cash. Very cool, I'm interested to see how it goes.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
yes it has a looooong top tube. (TT center to center 58.5, seat tube center to center 51.5)

going to buy some paint for her now.

im thinking im going to do a 1x 7 speed barcon shifting thing. Barcons are cheap, the rear wheel is 7 speed freewheel already. It was either that or single speed.

j

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Phat&SlowVelo said:
are you out of Portland, I couldn't tell, was that a PSU Viking pint glass?

not yet, im going to be going to school at PSU this fall, my gf just got into a masters program there as well.

So the paint is done go here for full story.

Frame/fork/headset weigh 7.94 lbs!

the stem weighs almost a pound by itself.

btw anyone have a 7 speed barcon or thumb shifter?

jb

·
lung lacking loser
270 Posts
jeremyb said:
Frame/fork/headset weigh 7.94 lbs!

the stem weighs almost a pound by itself.

btw anyone have a 7 speed barcon or thumb shifter?

jb
Let's see, a Cross Check in that size is probably a 58 (4.74 lbs) or 60 (4.88 lbs), plus the fork is listed at 2.26 lbs. Yeah, that suckers fat!

8speed indexes the same as 7 speeds so you can use an 8 sp. barcon as well. Just set the limits on your derailleur to effectively cancel out the last "click."

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ive got some parts in----the seatpost was a splurge at $12 plus $8 shipping, but i thought it'd be really cool to have a blue seatpost....how many times have you seen blue seatposts?

also, got some 6 speed Suntour Power barcon shifters for free from some kind soul out there, thanks!

im starting to think im going to keep this bike for a commute rig.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.