Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

My new ride..... De Rosa Avant..... Take a look!

6K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Phat&SlowVelo 
#1 · (Edited)
After a four months of waiting, my De Rosa is finally here! The long wait was really a drag and I almost pulled the plug on the order, but I am really glad I didn't. The beautiful gleam of carbon weave and the sexy lines of the frame made it all worth the wait, not to mention the multi shaped monocoque carbon tubes are hot! The bike weighs in at 15.8 lbs with the pedals! ( I thought my S-works were light until I felt this bike). I wanted to cut the fork to size but the bike shop insisted on riding it for couple of weeks.

- Record group
- 05 Campy Eurus with Michelin Pro race
- 26.0 Deda 215 bar/ Newton stem ( I dont like the looks of the O.S setup)
- Selle Italia SLR
- Bontrager X-lite seatpost ( I had EC90 Zeros on hand until I found out today the frame takes over sized, and I didn't want to wait!)
- Speedplay Zeros

Avants are new model introduced by De Rosa this year and by the looks of it it'll sell well. I will not have the chance to really test ride it until Sunday. How do you shift this thing?( I am a Campy newbie)

My S-works is jealous.

See less See more
#2 ·
Beautiful... looks to be somewhat similar to King... nowadays here in US it's little difficult to keep taps on what's going on with Derosa it seems... matter of fact I don't even know who carries them...

#5 · (Edited)
I've always liked DeRosa and that really is a beautiful frame. Its nice to see them come out with something that is well executed, with classic lines (more or less), and a timeless color scheme.

It looks like they are scaling back on the bikes with wild lines like the Tango. Beauty is based on simetry, proportion, and flow. IMO, the Tango failed in all three of these criteria in a big way. The color offerings on Merak are mostly wacky and the Dual isn't great looking either.

#8 ·
Thanks for the complements! It looks better in person, as always. I took it out for around the block today and I feel like I have to learn how to shift all over again. I actually have to think about how to shift these Campy Ergo levers. I've always had Shimanos.

#9 ·
Nice!

Beautiful bike, and congrats. Also, welcome to Campy. You will get use to it in no time and enjoy the ability to shift across multiple grears in one stroke.

Since there is no DeRosa dealer in FL, were there fit issues you found unique compared to other bikes? Looking at the geometry charts, the top bar seems short, even by Italian standards. Can't wait to hear your ride report(s). You know we won't be satisfied with just one report as you have one of the first Avants in the US!

#10 · (Edited)
ibhim said:
Beautiful bike, and congrats. Also, welcome to Campy. You will get use to it in no time and enjoy the ability to shift across multiple grears in one stroke.

Since there is no DeRosa dealer in FL, were there fit issues you found unique compared to other bikes? Looking at the geometry charts, the top bar seems short, even by Italian standards. Can't wait to hear your ride report(s). You know we won't be satisfied with just one report as you have one of the first Avants in the US!
I was really worried I would end up with a wrong sized framset. It was unnerving ordering a frameset I've never seen also. I measured my E5 (top tube - c-c ; seat tube - top of bb to to top of the seat collar) and compared it to Avant's. My 50cm E5 measurements were identical to 46cm Avant, except for the top tube length. Top tube on Avant was 1cm shorter, which didnt bother me. I ordered 46cm frame and it worked out perfect. Its fits me like I knew what I was doing :) . The given Avant frame measurements are accurate, except the head tube length is listed as 11cm but its actually 10, no biggie. FYI top of top-tube to top of the seat collar measures 4cm (which is same as my E5).

The first thing I noticed was how comfy the ride is compare to my e5 aluminum. You feel the bumps but its like sharp edges were cut off. Are Eurus known to be comfortable wheels? I thought it might be the wheels but I doubt it. My Spingergys are comfortable wheels but on e5 it still is a bumpy ride ( I am still young, I can handle it) compare to the Avant.

If its comfortable then it must be a noodle I thought.( My Airborne Zep is one, BB flexes when I am hammering. I am only 140lbs). I took it to a short incline and sprinted up hill and I dont feel any difference to my e5, which is a stiff frame. The thing just zooted up. I gotta find out how she really climbs. My nearest 3 mile training hill is 1.5 hours riding away and I did it this morning with my e5. I didnt feel like doing it again.

I took it to a crit training course and sprinted into corners. The thing corners like a champ. "Precision cornering" comes to mind. It felt smoother, more control then the e5. I swear to god, on the way there, this lady decided to do a right turn when I was right beside her. I saw dollar signs going up in smoke. No problem! Me and my bike reacted just fine turned with her and a few words came out of my mouth. I shall see how she handles a 45mph curved downhill course on my training hill in the future.

I think DeRosa has a another winner. I am relieved and happy. I just cant see how a bike could ride any better. I guess I have to ride C50 to find out. Well, it could be a tad lighter I guess. My initial thought...its a great bike, but let me have her little longer. Its not going to see any crits anytime soon though. My e5 works just fine. By the way, for those of you who use Speedplay Zeros, why is my Zeros so hard to get in and out? Its a lot tougher then X2s on my other bikes when it was new. Hopefully it'll get easier as time goes on.

#11 ·
Holy crap! That bike is breathtaking. Well worth the wait.

#20 · (Edited)
outdoors-maniac said:
If you don't mind how much did the complete set up set you back? I'm thinking of buying that frame or the bianchi FG Lite frame this summer. Anyone got any educated comparisons of the two? I know that there probably arnt many people riding either of these 06 models yet.
I dont mind.

Frameset - $2000
Eurus wheels - $650 (my bike shop beat the internet price I found)
Record grouppo plus carbon crank upgrade - $1550
Seat and the post - $200
Stem and the bar - $200
Tires - $65(ebay)
Pedals - $130(ebay)
With tax just over 5K. I think I got a decent price for the set up.

#22 ·
Ok gotta say it.

That De Rosa is awesome, does it replace the King? I only got one thing to add (hope I don't offend) that is a awewome italian bike in full campy, throw that Bontrager seatpost away! Buy the way like your S-Works, wish I had never sold mine.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.