·
journeymonk
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My new ride: TCR Composite T-Mobile

Hi, guys!

After 8 months of saving up and buying the parts, she's finally here. :D

Build list:

Frame: Giant TCR Advanced T-Mobile Team Frame (Small)
Group: Shimano Dura-Ace 7700 9spd STI
Crankset: FSA SL-K Compact 48-34t (48t 9spd outer ring)
Pedals: Crank Brothers Eggbeater Ti
Wheels: American Classic CR-420
Tires: Continental Grand Prix 4000 700x23c
Tubes: Michelin Airlight
Bar: Ritchey Pro Biomax 40cm Shallow Drop
Stem: Ritchey Pro 110mm (to be replaced by 90mm WCS)
Tape: Deda Elementi
Spacers: Zipp and generic carbon
Seat: Fizik Aliante Carbon
Seatpost: FSA K-Force Light
Computer: Polar CS200Cad

Still fiddling with the fit. Looking to get a shorter stem first, then maybe seatpost with less setback. If I position myself for comfortable arms and back, I am 3-4cm forward of my most comfortable position on the saddle. Long legs, short torso.

Comments and suggestions welcome. :cool:

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Schweet! That's a nice ride you've got there, do you have any idea what it weighs (without the saddle bag ;) ). It should be pretty light I think. Give us the update on how it handles and feels in general, and, have fun! :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
sorry for saying this - but I think you got conned... the frame/fork looks like a TCR Composite in Tmobile colors... not a TCR Advanced to me.

The wheel base on a TCR Composite is longer than a TCR Advanced would be and the fork you have is too bladed... TCR Advanced's seattube also is wider shaped differently (there's a distinct dip in the seattube for wheel clearance).

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/images/_upload_de/bikes/models/zooms/2006/TCRcompteamT.jpg (this is what you got in Tmobile's old colors)

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/images/_upload_de/bikes/models/zooms/2006/TCRadvanced.jpg
(this is what a TCR Advanced should look like)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Journeymonk,

Is that a debadged AMClassic 420 wheelset? how much did you pay for them and how's the performance? are you from RP? PM me if you wanna sell the seatpost and the stem. salamat...

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Definitely not the TCR Advanced

Hope that was a mispost not a rip off.

BTW do you think that seatbag is large enough?

·
journeymonk
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments, guys!

fayrwerks: Yep, from the RP. Yep, took off the stickers (bloody ugly!). Sure, can sell you the seatpost and stem once I get replacements. :)

TiFemur: Really? Thought I got the 2004 TCR Advanced (that's what the model was called then, right?). Did they issue team colors to the non-team model bikes? Very curious.

Nonetheless, this is my first road bike and I'm quite happy with the performance so far (save for fine-tuning the fit). At first, I thought the Nokons were messing with my rear shifting (btw, got the ones that route into the bar, a la Zabel--very distinct looking), till I got used to the throw of the STI levers (first time roadie). And also, may have gone overboard with the size of the saddle bag. Weight with pedals but without bottles and seatbag/tools was 7.3 kg.

Right now, things are peachy. :)

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
EasyRider47 said:
Hi:

You fellows had me concerned....but on checking the pictures, I think mine is a TCR Advanced........Right?

EasyRider47
The bike pictured in the last post is a TCR Advanced. The bike the is pictured at the start of the post is a TCR Comp.

·
Registered
432 Posts
TitaniumFemur said:
sorry for saying this - but I think you got conned... the frame/fork looks like a TCR Composite in Tmobile colors... not a TCR Advanced to me.

The wheel base on a TCR Composite is longer than a TCR Advanced would be and the fork you have is too bladed... TCR Advanced's seattube also is wider shaped differently (there's a distinct dip in the seattube for wheel clearance).

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/images/_upload_de/bikes/models/zooms/2006/TCRcompteamT.jpg (this is what you got in Tmobile's old colors)

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/images/_upload_de/bikes/models/zooms/2006/TCRadvanced.jpg
(this is what a TCR Advanced should look like)

I carefully compared pictures and you are correct. The starter of this thread has the TCRcomp in T-Mobile colors, not the TCRadvane frame. I hope he got a good price, but it looks like either his LBS was conning him or ignorant.

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Correct

I had a TCR Composite in T-Mobile colors, this is often mistaken for the advanced. hope the original poster didn't get ripped off. He has the TCR Comp in T-Mobile paint.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
It's a pretty common trick on ebay for people to sell T-Mobile colored TCR Comps as Advanced. The OP's bike is definitely NOT the Advanced model. Easyrider's bike is the Advanced. Retail price difference is $1000.

In earlier years, a similar trick was selling Allez frame in Festina colors as team issue S-Works.

Phat&SlowVelo said:
I had a TCR Composite in T-Mobile colors, this is often mistaken for the advanced. hope the original poster didn't get ripped off. He has the TCR Comp in T-Mobile paint.

·
Registered
54 Posts
filly said:
I don't know much about Giants. How can you guys tell the difference? Or, more appropriately, what is the diff b/w the OP's bike and the Advanced?
Just look at the pictures... the tubing shapes are different, the forks are different...

·
Registered
931 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
I don't know much about Giants. How can you guys tell the difference? Or, more appropriately, what is the diff b/w the OP's bike and the Advanced?

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Sweet bike

Not to nit-pick but is your saddle really angled down that much or is it just the picture? Normally the saddle should be fairly level, right?

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
I think he mentioned..

Thommy said:
Not to nit-pick but is your saddle really angled down that much or is it just the picture? Normally the saddle should be fairly level, right?

he's still playing with the fit...but yep, my boys wouldn't handle that angle whatsoever.
you're right on with ditching that seatpost...detracts from the look of the bike...

·
Registered
432 Posts
I looked at how much seatpost was showing and thought to myself that the guy has too-small a frame, but didn't say anything. I certainly would not be comfortable in that much tuck for the kind of riding I do. This guy did say this was his first road bike, too, so I think he had a bad bikeshop guy experience.

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
ewitz said:
The bike pictured in the last post is a TCR Advanced. The bike the is pictured at the start of the post is a TCR Comp.
And the diffference between the two (Comp and Advanced) would be the tubing?
Monk, you don't need to bring the whole garage bro..j/k.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The normal TCR composite and the TCR Advanced are designed as two completely different bikes. Beyond just the price and weight, the TCR Advanced is stiffer by quite a bit.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts