Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I can say is .....WOW what a fun bike to ride! Have to admit that I wasn't too excited about this bike when I first placed the order,but I just couldn't pass up the great deal received by my lbs.My feelings quickly changed when I unwrapped this frame and marveled over its lines and angles.Also the beefiness around the bb area caught my attention aswell. This bike screams to be ridden hard and I can see where the average recreational rider would have problems adapting to its aggressive geometry.What really catches you off guard is the quick steering this bike possess,really keeps your full attention,but at the same time begs you to take your hands off the bars at any sane speed. Really a stable ride,coupled with the frame's incredible stiffness and no-flex forks,it gave a feeling of instant reassurance.

The bike came in a little over 15lbs. built up with Campag Record 10v. components,Zipp SL stem and bars,Elite carbon cages,SLR 64 saddle with Richey WCS carbon post,Keo titanium pedals and Ksyrium ES wheels.

The only flaw that I see so far is the fact that Specialized put too much carbon on the seatstays causing the chain to rub when in the 12,however quickly remedied by the use of a spacer. Spoke to a Specialized tech rep that said that this was a flaw that has been since fixed with the newer bikes and will gladly send out a new frame once they get more in stock if I'm not happy with my frame and in the meantime keep riding this one. I'm sticking with this one,it just requires more patience while changing the rear wheel out.

Heres some pics...

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Very nice! How come you didn't opt for the Specialized crankset w/ integrated BB?

The Tarmac and Roubaix are some hot looking bikes. It's hard to reconcile that w/ the fact that they're from a huge mass producer of bikes. I dunno......I guess expect bikes from such big manufacturers to look boring, like Trek bikes. But Specialized has definitely put some character into these frames.

·
Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No particular reason,regarding the choice of cranks.

It was just that I had this groupo already and I couldn't let the super sexy Campag carbon cranks gather dust, although I think they are a few grams heavier than the Specialized cranks.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
You know, I actually went into an LBS today (looking for the last of the winter socks, which of course they didn't have) and spent the time I didn't spend buying them, looking at a Tarmac S.

I really liked the lines and the overall looks of the thing. Yours looks great. I want one. But.....

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
SPINDAWG said:
It was just that I had this groupo already and I couldn't let the super sexy Campag carbon cranks gather dust, although I think they are a few grams heavier than the Specialized cranks.
Don't get my wrong: those Campy cranks are dead sexy. I'm just waiting to hear a real world report of how those Specialized cranks work.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
terry b said:
You know, I actually went into an LBS today (looking for the last of the winter socks, which of course they didn't have) and spent the time I didn't spend buying them, looking at a Tarmac S.

I really liked the lines and the overall looks of the thing. Yours looks great. I want one. But.....
"But.....?" "But.....?" When has there ever been a "but" when TerryB talked about wanting a bike? Jeez. What's gonna come of the world, now? I expect to wake in the morning and find the Canada del Oro wash running with blood.

Besides a Moots and a Parlee, the only bikes that have made me instantly want them upon seeing them were a Specialized Tarmac SL and a DeRosa Prototype 1d. Normally Italian bikes don't do any more for me than any other bikes, but that DeRosa....oooooeerrrrrrr. Maybe it was the flat black look....

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
SPINDAWG said:
All I can say is .....WOW what a fun bike to ride! Have to admit that I wasn't too excited about this bike when I first placed the order,but I just couldn't pass up the great deal received by my lbs.My feelings quickly changed when I unwrapped this frame and marveled over its lines and angles.Also the beefiness around the bb area caught my attention aswell. This bike screams to be ridden hard and I can see where the average recreational rider would have problems adapting to its aggressive geometry.What really catches you off guard is the quick steering this bike possess,really keeps your full attention,but at the same time begs you to take your hands off the bars at any sane speed. Really a stable ride,coupled with the frame's incredible stiffness and no-flex forks,it gave a feeling of instant reassurance.

The bike came in a little over 15lbs. built up with Campag Record 10v. components,Zipp SL stem and bars,Elite carbon cages,SLR 64 saddle with Richey WCS carbon post,Keo titanium pedals and Ksyrium ES wheels.

The only flaw that I see so far is the fact that Specialized put too much carbon on the seatstays causing the chain to rub when in the 12,however quickly remedied by the use of a spacer. Spoke to a Specialized tech rep that said that this was a flaw that has been since fixed with the newer bikes and will gladly send out a new frame once they get more in stock if I'm not happy with my frame and in the meantime keep riding this one. I'm sticking with this one,it just requires more patience while changing the rear wheel out.

Heres some pics...
Very nice color scheme. What did your frame weigh?

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
all i can say is wow as well. congrats. when i was bike shopping a few months ago it wasn't even on my list, but if you got the deal you said, and considering the other bikes you have to choose from, i can understand your curiosity ;)

thanks for the pics!

SPINDAWG said:
All I can say is .....WOW what a fun bike to ride!

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
uuhh TB....

terry b said:

I beleive you told me while mulling over a Vanilla that your motto was "SEE-WANT-BUY" with "S" to "B" lasting no longer than a quick 15min discussion with Mrs, TB.
Like Alien said WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON? TB not buying? I'm in complete shock.
Who will be my mentor now? What am I to do?
Buy the way Spin, Awesome stable, love the C-50's and the Tarmac. Had an older 2003 E5 S-Works and that bike rocked, regret the day I ever sold it. I can only imagine the carbon version is even better, given they share the same geo.
Alien, go get that DeRosa!

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
All I have to say Spindawg is that of all the RBR members with multi-bicycle stables, yours is certainly one of the nicest. So, you picked up the Tarmac because you got a good deal on it, right?
Cheers, Wayne

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Sorry, I simply can't bring myself to buy anything anymore. Don't know what happened, maybe it was my cancelled vacation over the Holidays, maybe it's my new job, maybe it's the tooth I had to have pulled. But something changed.

Or maybe it's that damn coupled bike that seems to be taking forever. Maybe I'll give that guy a call.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
terry b said:
Do you have any idea what kind of wheels those are? :eek:
Yes, I know what they are....and with the wife out of town this weekend....I'm fighting the urge to order them.....without the big white decals, of course.

Bad Alienator....put checkbook down!

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
You know Alien

alienator said:
Yes, I know what they are....and with the wife out of town this weekend....I'm fighting the urge to order them.....without the big white decals, of course.

Bad Alienator....put checkbook down!
For the price of those Lightweight's you could buy the Tarmac frameset, and just build it slowly when wifey ain't lookin..............;)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Are all those bikes in the picture yours? Do you find that they all serve different purposes, or do you just like collecting and riding nice bikes? (not that I think it is wrong to own multiple bikes .. read on). I ask just because I am a little confused about the Tarmac and Roubaix bikes.

So Johnny Weekend Warrior who rides 200 miles a week on his bike, then does a few centurys a year, should go with the Roubaix .. cause its aimed at longer rides?

But Bill Hardcore Racer, who does shorter events should got for the Tarmac, which is stiffer and shorter?

The thing that confuses me, is that surely Bill trains more miles than Johnny, so would Bill own a second bike for his training? But then he'd have one relaxed setup for training and a different setup for racing ...

I spoke to a specialized guy at a bike show yesterday, and he told me about the differences between the bikes, and it just didnt make too much sence to me. It almost seemed as if they built the Tarmac, realized that its not to everyones taste, so built a more conventional Roubaix for everyone else?

I like the Tarmac, so I'm not trying to slag off the bike at all ... just trying to work out its place in the world.

Thoughts?

·
merckxman
2,116 Posts
DeRosa Cinquanta

I was on a ride today and a guy was riding this 50th anniv. bike, jet black carbon with everything in a gold trim, matching wheels. It was really a spectacular bike...elegant, not a lot of fusiness.

alienator said:
"But.....?" "But.....?" When has there ever been a "but" when TerryB talked about wanting a bike? Jeez. What's gonna come of the world, now? I expect to wake in the morning and find the Canada del Oro wash running with blood.

Besides a Moots and a Parlee, the only bikes that have made me instantly want them upon seeing them were a Specialized Tarmac SL and a DeRosa Prototype 1d. Normally Italian bikes don't do any more for me than any other bikes, but that DeRosa....oooooeerrrrrrr. Maybe it was the flat black look....

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
terry b said:
How can you be sure?
Because of the unnatural lusty cravings for Lightweight wheels I've become infected with, I'm now unusually sensitive to the presence of Lightweight wheels or their images. Why, one night last week, while headed to the grocery store my Obermayer sensors went off as I passed a house. I stopped and got a read on the Lightweight beacon and followed it to a window. Through the window, I saw a lady curled up in bed with a set of Lightweight Obermayers.

True story.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
merckxman said:
I was on a ride today and a guy was riding this 50th anniv. bike, jet black carbon with everything in a gold trim, matching wheels. It was really a spectacular bike...elegant, not a lot of fusiness.
The King is a nice looking frame, and the Cinquanta is pretty tasteful. If someone gave me one, I'd keep it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts