Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the lack of bar tape in the photo. Just had changed the stem out to get a little more upright. Brief background consists of myself being an avid road cyclists and mountain biker around 15 years ago and wanted to get back into some casual cycling. Got it last year on craigslist for $125 iirc, but never got around to posting. Just moved a couple weeks ago and the roads around my house are farking hilly! What a difference 15 years makes.

· Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I figure I'll move on to another bike eventually, but so far I have no compaints about the bike considering what I paid. Bike is one size bellow what I used to ride, 55cm Bottechia, but after the stem swap it fits me pretty good. Got a set of compact cranks that should be here tomorrow to help me out in the hillier area I live in now. Of course as soon as that extra 15 pounds hanging around my stomach gets dropped the uphill riding will be easier.

· Registered
17 Posts
I had one of these 19 years ago when I was stationed in Japan. I did 100 miles on it one day. It was very comfortable and capable. I'm looking for one now. I need a 50cm. Good luck with it. I'd like to hear of the changes you make like the compact crank...

Cheers

· Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
StrongPerf said:
I had one of these 19 years ago when I was stationed in Japan. I did 100 miles on it one day. It was very comfortable and capable. I'm looking for one now. I need a 50cm. Good luck with it. I'd like to hear of the changes you make like the compact crank...

Cheers
Had to get another bottom bracket for the crankset, but that all went well. Bike has seen a MAJOR overhaul. Freewheel was on the wore out side, and Suntour freewheels are either hard to find or outlandish in price for NOS. So I decided to go with a Shimano drivetrain on the cheap. As in Sora cheap, which are perfectly fine parts IMO. Quick rundown of parts, all new from ebay, $14 rear Sora derailleur, $10 front Sora Derailleur, $60 Sora 3 x 7 brifters (new in plastic, not a box), $10 shimano freewheel from walmart.com (7 speed, 14-28), and $10 for shifter boss covers. Even with shipping I doubt I have over $120 in the STI conversion. The 50-14 high gear is only good for about 30mph, but I'm tucked and coasting by then so no biggie. Not like I'm racing here. I use it for my relaxed rides now as well since I bought a Windsor Fens. I have the Schwinn set up a little more upright.

· Registered
17 Posts
ohvrolla said:
Had to get another bottom bracket for the crankset, but that all went well. Bike has seen a MAJOR overhaul. Freewheel was on the wore out side, and Suntour freewheels are either hard to find or outlandish in price for NOS. So I decided to go with a Shimano drivetrain on the cheap. As in Sora cheap, which are perfectly fine parts IMO. Quick rundown of parts, all new from ebay, $14 rear Sora derailleur, $10 front Sora Derailleur, $60 Sora 3 x 7 brifters (new in plastic, not a box), $10 shimano freewheel from walmart.com (7 speed, 14-28), and $10 for shifter boss covers. Even with shipping I doubt I have over $120 in the STI conversion. The 50-14 high gear is only good for about 30mph, but I'm tucked and coasting by then so no biggie. Not like I'm racing here. I use it for my relaxed rides now as well since I bought a Windsor Fens. I have the Schwinn set up a little more upright.
Very nice outcome! I'd love to see pictures with the conversion... I have some very fond memories of mine and would like to re-create it. I need to find a 50cm prelude somehow. I'll be combing the country...

I also have a 2006 Schwinn SS/GS and just bought a Motobecane LeChamp CF with SRAM Force.

Hope to see more pics soon!

Take Care

· Registered
1,295 Posts
1971tch said:
I used to have that same prelude, nic bike!
+1 I had the same bike. The white paint is metallic and looks beautiful. I wish Schwinn used Shimano instead of that SunTour Edge group.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.