Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got it tonight. Took about a month and a half for delivery. It's been on exactly one ride for 3 miles. ~ 14.3 lbs with everything.

- SRAM Red/Force
- Ritchey WCS stem, bars, post
- Bontrager Race X-Lite wheels (the new ones that aren't suppose to have the old issues... we'll see.)

I did a lot of searching around before making this purchase. It's NOT just another generic Taiwanese frame as they built the frame to Velo Vie specs. I can already tell that it fits better then my last ride which was the reason I was buying a new bike to begin with. I'll give a ride report and a race report by the end of the weekend.

My team is sponsored by Cannondale, but this one just sang to me.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I like it a lot. Weight is impressive too but it is a typical Taiwanese frame regardless of what the marketing tells you. Just like the Colnago CLX and all the others, they are Taiwanese made frames and that is not a criticism. It is what it is.

The Human G-Nome said:
I just got it tonight. Took about a month and a half for delivery. It's been on exactly one ride for 3 miles. ~ 14.3 lbs with everything.

- SRAM Red/Force
- Ritchey WCS stem, bars, post
- Bontrager Race X-Lite wheels (the new ones that aren't suppose to have the old issues... we'll see.)

I did a lot of searching around before making this purchase. It's NOT just another generic Taiwanese frame as they built the frame to Velo Vie specs. I can already tell that it fits better then my last ride which was the reason I was buying a new bike to begin with. I'll give a ride report and a race report by the end of the weekend.

My team is sponsored by Cannondale, but this one just sang to me.

·
Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lazyrider said:
I like it a lot. Weight is impressive too but it is a typical Taiwanese frame regardless of what the marketing tells you. Just like the Colnago CLX and all the others, they are Taiwanese made frames and that is not a criticism. It is what it is.
I didn't say that it wasn't made in Taiwan. I said this is wasn't a "generic Taiwanese frame". Velo Vie has the manufacturer design the frame to their specs.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The Human G-Nome said:
I didn't say that it wasn't made in Taiwan. I said this is wasn't a "generic Taiwanese frame". Velo Vie has the manufacturer design the frame to their specs.
I've been riding the Vitesse 100. So far I have had four podium finishes on it, including 1 win and a 2nd place in a cat 2 crit. Considering its their base model, not too bad of a bike IMO.

Enjoy the 300 SE. I have been considering it for a while and might take the plunge later this year. Can't hurt right? ;)

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
The fact it doesn't have Mongoose decals on it puts it more than a few cuts above some other Taiwanese frames? What does "typical Taiwanese frame" mean anyway. Do they only make one frame in the whole country paint them to order?

In other news, that is a hot looking bike.

·
Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
The fact it doesn't have Mongoose decals on it puts it more than a few cuts above some other Taiwanese frames? What does "typical Taiwanese frame" mean anyway. Do they only make one frame in the whole country paint them to order?

In other news, that is a hot looking bike.
It's not a comment on anything other then that this isn't a rebadged "Fill In the Blank".

·
Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
iliveonnitro said:
That is sexy. I love the all white. Now change the saddle and shifter boots :)
I ordered white shifter hoods. They f/d up the order. A white saddle is on the way as well. I even ordered a "wet white stem" from Ritchey, but they had no stock.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
The Human G-Nome said:
It's not a comment on anything other then that this isn't a rebadged "Fill In the Blank".
I was asking Lazyrider to clarify the aspersions he is casting towards the notion of a non-generic Taiwanese frame.

I understand that you mean that the designers custom spec'd a frame and had it manufactured in Taiwan, as opposed to picking a model out of a catalog and having it painted and decaled to order.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
That's a real nice bike. I love the white color. Me, I have a "generic taiwanese carbon framed bike", a pedal force RS2, all chorus, and it's light and a great ride.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Nice ride but again...it just amazes me how people are willing to post pics of their new ride from every angle except from front on where you actually see the whole bike with drivetrain. I don't get it.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
Italianrider76 said:
Nice ride but again...it just amazes me how people are willing to post pics of their new ride from every angle except from front on where you actually see the whole bike with drivetrain. I don't get it.

I assumed that he lived in a hallway.

·
Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Italianrider76 said:
Actually, my goal was to "surprise" and "amaze" you. Mission accomplished!

·
Registered
458 Posts
So who is to say that the model picked out of a catalog doesn't have "better" design than that of a company that puts out what they believe to be a better design and has it made in the same Taiwanese factory? The older Trek Madone that Postal rode were horrible riding bikes and they quickly updated that frame and that is with an enourmous amount of R & D money.

It is funny how people preemtively try and differentiate their Taiwanese bikes from all the others. It is what it is. Then you have the "my CF frame is made in Italy or USA" differentiators. As far as my Mongoose, Kinesis designed it but it was made in a typical Taiwanese factory under typical procedures. I don't try and differentiate it from any others.
A friend got his Pedal Force RS2 the other day and I have to tell you that for
$450, it is a pretty sweet frame with incredible finish and paint for the money. I have seen many Cervelos with imperfections and none on the RS2. My Mongoose was flawless as well. Both are "typical" Taiwanes frames. Get it? Here is my typical Taiwanese frame.

PeanutButterBreath said:
I was asking Lazyrider to clarify the aspersions he is casting towards the notion of a non-generic Taiwanese frame.

I understand that you mean that the designers custom spec'd a frame and had it manufactured in Taiwan, as opposed to picking a model out of a catalog and having it painted and decaled to order.

·
Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
David Loving said:
That's a real nice bike. I love the white color. Me, I have a "generic taiwanese carbon framed bike", a pedal force RS2, all chorus, and it's light and a great ride.
The Pedal Force is strong in you young Skywalker. I considered the PF, but then I managed to get a pro deal out of VV. And btw, I only mentioned the "mold to spec" angle because, after searching the web for Velo Vie info, many posters on many different boards discounted the VV as "nothing more then a generic, taiwanese frame". Personally, I don't think that there's a bit of difference, and it doesn't matter either way, but I just pointed it out because so many people seemed intent on making that a talking point.

·
Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, actually, you're not "getting it". Defensive much? Where do I claim that "generic" = subpar? I don't. I made it a talking point simply because so many people on so many other boards have made it so. I raced an entire year on a $300 aluminum frame. I really don't give a damn. I'm every bit as fast on either bike.

So don't bother getting offended. Get it?

·
Registered
458 Posts
No offense, but you prefaced your first post with a capitalized "NOT" a generic Taiwanese frame. If it "doesn't matter" to you as you say, just post a picture of you new bike without the qualifiers. It is you doing such that perpetuates the whole "Taiwanese" issue. I like your bike a lot. Not sure I would pay $2250 for the frame when they are selling last years frame for $1300 just in a different color. LOL

The Human G-Nome said:
Exactly! Wind tunnel tests prove that white paint provides a "significant aero advantage" over most other colors.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.