Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got these wheels built and on the bike. Ambrosio "Excellence" with "Record" hubs.
So far they ride really sweet and spin up good for these old bones. Thanks to "Spirito" for his advice and inspiration (plus the fact Fathers Day is coming up) I finally managed to get this done. They're laced up with DT Swiss 14/15 spokes, 3x with "Velox" rim strips and have a grand total of 15 miles on them. I wanted a strong, good looking Italian wheel to replace my old "Open 4 CD" rims and be all Italian for my Italian bike. These are old school pro rims still being used by the pro european teams in "Paris-Roubaix and the "Tour of Flanders". The red ones are hard to find, but I managed to snag a pair.

~ what do you guys think?

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just some more pics...............

Of my early 90's Tommasini. It has Shimano 600 derailleurs, but everything else is Campagnolo "Record" with "Athena" brakes. So far it indexes quite well with the Record cassette.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys,........It's been a work in progress changing over to Campy. I still have to get the "Chorus" derailleurs though. Thats next. The bike is beautiful, and to be honest with you I did'nt want to take pics of the whole bike with my current 3.2 megapixel camera. The camera takes excellent close-up (macro) shots, but the resolution leaves a lot to be desired outside of that.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
O.K......here's some more shots...........

The factory paint on the bike is Tommasini's 'Quadra' colors, which is pearl white base, with four different candy colors. It's kinda cool really, for bikes of that era. Columbus SL frame, which was the lightest at that time.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Final pic of the whole bike...........

As you can see the resolution leaves a lot to be desired. Please excuse the funky bar wrap, it's only temporary until I figure out what would look best.

G

·
Pretty much any wheel built on Ambrosio rims is a good thing. They make a wonderful rim that will give you many happy years of service.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, "Toomany" I wanted something Italian, and almost sprung for the FiR sc170 rims I found, but the Ambrosios sung to me. That last pic was right after I got home from riding it to work. It was amazing how smoooth they rode on my 14 mile commute. Plus I kinda like the name "Excellence".

·
Registered
104 Posts
Great photos

The wheels are terrific and the bike is sweet but the real stars are the photos - gorgeous! I can't believe you snapped those with a 3.2MP digital.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hey Croswell-

That scheme was called "Quattro-colore", as in "four color" in 1991. Glad to see you are converting over to Campy with that rig. 600 was certainly functional, put didn't have the glitz factor. Tommasinis were all about the glitz in that day. :thumbsup:

brewster

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
brewster said:
Hey Croswell-

That scheme was called "Quattro-colore", as in "four color" in 1991. Glad to see you are converting over to Campy with that rig. 600 was certainly functional, put didn't have the glitz factor. Tommasinis were all about the glitz in that day. :thumbsup:

brewster

Thanks 'Brewster', I stand corrected. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.