Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the bug and wanted some new bling for my bike so I enlisted the help of Roland at Zen Cyclery to help me decide on a new set of wheels.

About me: I'm a clyde, 5'10" ~235lbs, former college racer who got back in the saddle just about a year ago after many years off the bike. I've been riding the stock CXP33's (32/32) on my 2013 Felt Z4. Where I live in San Diego there is a fair amount of hill climbing as well as some good flat/rollers so I was looking for something versatile. Didn't really need new wheels and didn't have any delusions that buying new wheels would make me faster but just felt like making an upgrade to my bike.

I went back and forth on a couple of different build outs but eventually decided on;

White Industries T11 hubs
Kinlin XC-279 rims (24/28)
Sapim CX Ray spokes

They built them up with radial lacing in the front and radial (NDS) and 3x (DS) in the rear.

I topped off the build with a set of Enve Titanium skewers and a new Ultegra 12-30 cassette. Wheels ended up being about 1625g out of the box. Ready to mount on the bike they were a solid pound lighter than my previous set (obviously some of this difference was due to the cassette).

I haven't completely hammered them yet but I've put a solid 160 miles on them over some rough roads and some decent climbs over the last week and they've been rock solid.

Kudos to Roland and the team at Zen. Roland fielded a lot of questions from me and was very patient and accommodating. I'd recommend them in a heart beat.

Here are the wheels ready to mount:
View attachment 282306

Mounted and dialed in and ready for a shake down ride:
View attachment 282307

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Got the bug and wanted some new bling for my bike so I enlisted the help of Roland at Zen Cyclery to help me decide on a new set of wheels.
Didn't really need new wheels and didn't have any delusions that buying new wheels would make me faster but just felt like making an upgrade to my bike.
White Industries T11 hubs
Kinlin XC-279 rims (24/28)
Sapim CX Ray spokes
They built them up with radial lacing in the front and radial (NDS) and 3x (DS) in the rear.
What a great wheel spec and, even better, the best reason for a new set of wheels - "Didn't really need new wheels and didn't have any delusions that buying new wheels would make me faster but just felt like making an upgrade to my bike." At least you didn't expect an unrealistic 2mph extra speed.

I'd pass on the NDS radials and if I was your weight I'd opt for a few more spokes but overall - nice wheels!

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Nice job, now get out and wear down some rubber. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.