Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cutom lugged steel frame built by Ezra Caldwell of Fast Boy Cycles in Harlem. Sram Red, Chris King R45 hubs laced to Edge 45mm rims. I love it. Need to get the fit dialed in just a bit so she loves me back. I'm 6'3'' and this is a custom frame, but I'd guess the size is extra extra medium. 17.8 pounds with pedals and cages if you're counting.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fastboy/4949276368/in/photostream/

·
Registered
129 Posts
Orange Whip!
I like that. The dimensions look right to me. Let me know when you wanna sell it. ;-)
Enjoy the new steed - ride the hell outta that thing.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Great looking bike. How bout some more info....like tube set? Geometry? The chain stays looks like Columbus defininetly. Life maybe?

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
amazed he could get that kind of slope to the TT

with a lug
enjoy that

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fivethumbs said:
Great looking bike. How bout some more info....like tube set? Geometry? The chain stays looks like Columbus defininetly. Life maybe?
I'd like to give you more info, but I didn't get any. I was pretty obsessive about the rest of the build. I knew what I wanted out of the frame- reasonably light and stiff- so that's what he built. I trusted him enough to do that that I didn't even bother to ask what tubes he was going with. After about 5 days on the bike, I really REALLY like it. Getting asked a lot about the tubes, so I guess I'll break down and ask him. I'll get back to you on that.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tober1 said:
Real nice looking.
What lens did you shoot that with? Wide open?
Thanks. I didn't shoot those. Those were shot by the same guy who built the bike. He's multi-talented. Also taught dance for sixteen years and is, I hear, bit of a pool shark. If you're registered on Flickr, you can ask him about his camera set-up. He's pretty responsive about that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
atpjunkie said:
with a lug
enjoy that
If you look at a lot of the big bike companies' specs on larger frames, the the head tube and seat tube angles start to get a little weird. And the finished frames are certainly not as good looking, or "normal" looking, as their smaller bikes. I suspect this is because of the expense of multitple carbon molds and having to source multiple tube lengths. In the end, they can make a bike fit with a longer stem and seat adjustment. The idea of this frame was to put me- a larger rider- in a classic position on the bike. Since the geometry is more "medium," Ezra was able to get those angles with lugs. If he were to mimic the geometry of, say, a large Tarmac, the lugs wouldn't have worked. The stem is relatively short (100mm) because I come from a mountain bike background. This leaves me plenty of room to lengthen it if I choose.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Awesome frame, really good craftsmanship there.

When I got my Bob Jackson - which, oddly enough, is a similar orange but with blacks 1960's style head and seat tube contrasts - I asked them about putting a little slope into the top tube. 'No problem" came back. Seems they can gently 'persuade' lugs into a little slope up or down before brazing the frame up.

Beats me why anyone would buy standard 'bike in a box' frames when there's craftsmanship like this around.

D

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
luca.grigo said:
Orange is my favorite colour for bikes ;)

Me Too!

and the OP has a very good looking bike; with an excellent Orange

·
Registered
254 Posts
nice. I especially like the one picture of the perfectly clean rear cassette / drive train. I love a perfectly clean drive train. I wish mine was perfectly clean....

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
Pretty nice. I think the the saddle pushed forward on the setback post looks a little inelegant, but overall it's a sweet ride.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I like that, thanks for sharing. It's gonna be on my mind for a while.

·
wasssabi
2,081 Posts
Saw an orange, steel, BD bike the other day and it made me think of your bike.
Hows about a ride report? Did you ever find out what tubing it was made of?
I'm really thinking about a steel bike for my next one and am trying to learn as much as I can about them.
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts