Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a seriously neglected 3Rensho frame off eBay.

It had a huge dent in the top tube and the paint was in terrible condition..

I did all the work myself on this frame...

I stripped the paint to reveal very nice chrome underneath...

I repaired the top tube dent with a combination of JB Weld and resin

Paint is Duplicolor spray paint..I used self etching primer to bite into the chrome

Decals are NOS from The Yellow Jersey

It's not perfect but I'm happy so far

I'm still deciding on the rest of the components....more updates to follow

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Very nice, Hickey San.

I'd sure like to find one in my size. Then I'd have to come up with the cash. But the Falcon project awaits.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Wow, that came out great, DH. What happened to the local builder that was going to replace the tube?

That may be my favorite paint job of yours so far.

Do you think you'll go with the IRO wheelset again? It seems like a pretty great bang for the buck deal on an SS/FG wheelset.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Another terrific 3Rensho, you're an inspiration Dave!

Prices for these frames seem to climb higher each week. I'm dying to find something really small to restore for my wife. And then one for my son, and then one for my daughter.......

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
Beautiful.

Thanks, on behalf of the cycling community at large, for restoring that gem.

Chrome under paint for the whole bike, that's a touch you don't see these days... instead, you get "chrome paint" like Pistas. Meh!

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
skyphix said:
Wow, that came out great, DH. What happened to the local builder that was going to replace the tube?

That may be my favorite paint job of yours so far.

Do you think you'll go with the IRO wheelset again? It seems like a pretty great bang for the buck deal on an SS/FG wheelset.

prior to seeing the frame in person, I thought the dent was a crack. It turned out to be just a dent.. I'm not worried about my repair. It is stronger than the tube...

As for wheels, I am going with a Formula/IRO/Origin 8 hub. This frame has 8mm, 110 rear spacing. I purchased from Japan a special 8mm rear axle for Formula hubs..
I'll buy a built wheelset but I'm still undecided on which one.. I'm leaning toward an all silver Sun M13/Formula wheels set....

This bike is going to be my urban bike...Over the years, I've done more and more urban riding...It's a nice break from long road rides. I enjoy spending an afternoon exploring Dallas, Fort Worth or Austin on my bike...

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Have I said I hate you lately Dave? Another beautiful 3 Rensho as usual. What else would we expect from you these days.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I'll buy a built wheelset but I'm still undecided on which one.. I'm leaning toward an all silver Sun M13/Formula wheels set....
As you know I'm quite biased towards that "formula" (get it?)

Couldn't be happier with the Formula/Sun M13's with DT spokes in polished alloy on both the commuter and the fixed. There certainly are flashier/more expensive wheelsets, but mine have proved "butt a$$" tough with a great retro look.:thumbsup:

·
Cumudgitude
703 Posts
Wow. Now that I've mopped the drool off my keyboard, a quick question:

What do you use to strip the paint? I just lucked my way into an '83 Daccordi and the paint may need to go.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UrbanPrimitive said:
Wow. Now that I've mopped the drool off my keyboard, a quick question:

What do you use to strip the paint? I just lucked my way into an '83 Daccordi and the paint may need to go.

I used Aircraft Paint Stripper purchased from an auto parts store..The stuff works great but do it outside and wear hand/eye protection

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.