·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early 70's Schwinn Stingray

Yes it's real

this may be a problem

FYI, my 1984 Ciocc pictured here

was in 37 times worse condition when I first acquired it. This bike is somewhat rideable all I would have to do is air up the tires. The Ciocc I had to spend a day fixing everything before I could ride it.

I'm going to look up the serial number on this frame and find the exact date, there's a way to tell.

Well here's to another money pit :D

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I spent many hours on one just like that. I wish I still had it.

·
Registered
832 Posts
A fully restored and shiny "Lemon-Peeler" Schwinn Stingray has sold for over $3,000 lately. Do keep the original color - the lemon-peeler effect is a major selling point.

Nice Ciocc!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
How did you pick up the Ciocc? I don't go to yard sales that much. When I do , I always hope to find an old road bike.
j-dogg said:
Early 70's Schwinn Stingray

Yes it's real

this may be a problem

FYI, my 1984 Ciocc pictured here

was in 37 times worse condition when I first acquired it. This bike is somewhat rideable all I would have to do is air up the tires. The Ciocc I had to spend a day fixing everything before I could ride it.

I'm going to look up the serial number on this frame and find the exact date, there's a way to tell.

Well here's to another money pit :D

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Ciocc was left outside to rot away by a careless owner in the West Palm Area, then discovered by one of my friends who saved it from another friend's Sawzall. He gave it to me about a year ago I've been working on it since. Just put in Ultegra SL crank and BB.

I've thought about converting to a 5-speed with stickshift, I have a Shimano Clikstik here would be nothing to bolt on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
love the stingray brings back many fond memories. The seat was the best for riding double. restore it and bring back the pride.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
they were real wheelie machines. looking forward to seeing the end result. Are you going to get the chrome redone?

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I might just for fun

It will be a full-fledged restoration like the Ciocc, except original.

The chrome isn't too bad it's all surface rust I'm going to see how well I can clean it off.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Soak the chrome in strong black tea before cleaning it off (the rust that is) and it will make life alot easier. It also prevents the rust from seeping through the pits in the chrome at a future time.

It works great. Trust me.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I remember a few episodes of "Cops" where crack dealers rode those. Is that your intent? :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts