Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't know where to post this--here, retro or Merckx, but I know there are a bunch of old Merckx fans here so... Rode my Merckx into work this morning and snapped a few pics in the cube. I bought this frame in the classifieds here in '99 and built it up with a mix of 9 speed era Ultegra and 7 speed era Dura Ace. It's a late 80s/early 90s Century built with Reynolds 653. I recently repacked the hubs and treated it to a new rear der, chain and tires (Conti Four Seasons--nice!). After riding the Surly Cross Check exclusively for the last six months this felt pretty quick, but the ride was buttery smooth.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I can relate

I have a cross check that i commute on, and although I love the ride, once I get on one of my other road bikes I feel like stepping on it. Not that i'm fast or anything, but the change is very noticeable.

By the way, that is a very nice looking Merckx.

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
Gorgeous. Are you going to keep the old school compenents or do you plan on upgrading to new parts?

G

·
You inspired me to go out tonight and putter around the neighbourhood on my Geoffrey Butler.

Thank you.

Oh yeah, nice bike!!

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Wow Henry, nice bicycle. I'm in the process of upgrading my Argon 18 touring bicycle in Columbus SP, so I've got your beauty to lead the way.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
Henry Chinaski said:
Keeping it as is. Everything works like new and that's a ten speed seatpost!
Awesome. That's hilarious. My first bike had downtube shifters and I really disliked them. I couldn't do it. But I'm stoked that your going against the grain.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tarwheel2 said:
Hang on to that baby, unless you want to sell it to me. Looks like my size. It's a 57, right?
It's a bit strange. I was told it was a 57 but it's actually 57.5 c-c and the tt is 57.2 cm which suggests it's closer to a "58". No plans to sell, unless someone wanted to trade me for a Kelme Merckx or a MX Leader.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
size

Henry Chinaski said:
It's a bit strange. I was told it was a 57 but it's actually 57.5 c-c and the tt is 57.2 cm which suggests it's closer to a "58". No plans to sell, unless someone wanted to trade me for a Kelme Merckx or a MX Leader.
Yep, that sounds like a 58. However, it's entirely possible the geometry is a little different than newer models. My Corsa 01 is 57 c-c for the seat tube, and 56.8 c-c for the top tube. Does your frame have a relatively slack seat tube angle? My 57 has a 72.5 angle, which is one of the things I like about the frame as it effectively shortens the top tube.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts