Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Off the back.
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was feeling lethargic and not really wanting to get on the bike (gusty winds up to 40mph), but I finally decided I needed to do something. So I hopped on my bike and decided I just make a loop right around my house in case the dark clouds let loose some rain or hail.

So I started riding and realized I had dedicated bike lanes in 1 mile stretches completely surrounding my neighborhood. So I had 1 mile north then right turn 1 mile east with a small climb then a 1 mile south sprint then a gradual 1 mile climb back to the start. Made a nice little course as I could cruise in the bike lane with only 1 intersection to cross that I wouldn't be making a right turn.

It was a great solution for a night like last night where the wind would have made and out and back an easy ride out and a struggle on the way back. Did 5 laps at about 12 minutes a lap with another 1/2 lap easy spin out at the end.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this, but thought I'd pass it along as I plan to use this route on days like yesterday when I just didn't feel like getting on the bike but needed to anyway.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You sound a lot like me. I have a number of business parks near where I live, and traffic in and around them becomes light to non-existent after 5:00pm. So, I do a series of crit-type intervals around these 90 degree turns, hoping to build crit-specific fitness, as that is the predominant type of racing in my part of the world. It has helped. I still prefer a straight, hard train of riding, rather than the blast-off, then dive into a corner, then blast off again bit, but we takes what we gots, right?

By the way, there's a number of Okie State folks around where I live near Birmingham, AL. Once, a couple of years back, we did a New Year's Day ride, and I swear there was ten Orange, WHite, and Black OSU jerseys in the bunch. Seemed strange, what with all the all the Auburn and Alabama folks around here. I grad-u-tated from 'Bama myself, and thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful trip to your rivals' place down in Norman a few years ago.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.