Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
You are tall, but not what I would consider "large" except maybe within the range of elite racer cyclists who look like all arms and legs. Your weight is at the high end of normal for your height. At 5'10" and 170lbs, I fall into the same 24-25BMI range as you do.

I generally consider "clyde" to be 250lbs or more and someone who is 200 to 250lbs to be a "baby clyde".
'Clydesdale' has been defined by 200 lbs + forever. Probably over 25 years.
Can I just call 200lb and over or 250lb and over fat cyclists? Or will that be frowned upon?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,793 Posts
'Clydesdale' has been defined by 200 lbs + forever. Probably over 25 years.
Well then with the increasing girth of the American population, that's a lot of cyclists!

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
My question is, how many lbs. or kilos. does a clyde make?

85kilo\187lbs is not a small man. I'm 6'1" and about 185lbs and consider myself a "large" cyclist.
I am 6'2" tall, and about your weight.
Would post a pic, but the forum seems to have stopped hosting pics?

·
changingleaf
709 Posts
For the sake of more spoke knowledge, are these tensile strength results assuming they are measured by testing the center area of the spoke only?

Do you know which alloy each of these spokes are made of or which ones share the same material?

Do you know the strain of each of these spokes?

Do you know the tensile strength of the Sapim Strong spoke, which you mention in an earlier post has the same alloy as the CX-Ray?

Thanks.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,793 Posts
I am 6'2" tall, and about your weight.
Would post a pic, but the forum seems to have stopped hosting pics?
Recently, I can still post pics, but they will only show as a file which you have to click on.

·
Registered
536 Posts
So what I don't understand is, If Pacenti wants to use certain spokes on their rims, Shouldn't they have posted that information somewhere on their web page ?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Sapim Leader 1180nm tensile strength 2.0 gauge (greatest elasticity)
Sapim Race 1300nm tensile strength 2.0 x 1.8 x 2.0 gauge
Sapim D Lite 1370nm tensile strength 2.0 x 1.65 x 2.0 gauge
Sapim CX Sprint 1430nm tensile strength 2.0 x 2.25-1.25 x 2.0 gauge
Sapim Laser 1500nm tensile strength 2.0 x 1.5 x 2.0 gauge
Sapim CX Ray 1600nm tensile strength 2.0 x 0.9-2.2 x 2.0 gauge (least elasticity)
Please forgive me for a zombie thread bump but I've been researching rims and came across this thread and couldn't help but comment.

The information above is exactly BACKWARDS.

Steel as a material, regardless of strength, has the exact same elasticity per unit of volume. In other words, the thinner the cross section the more elastic the spoke. Strength comes into the equation as related to how much stretch the spoke can take before it fails. The reason Sapim uses a strong tensile strength material in the CX Ray spokes is because they are thin and stretchy and if they didn't use strong material they would be failing at a very high rate.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts