Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Vintage Rebuilds

Here are some photos of some of my '70s and '80s rebuilds over the last few years. These first three are my keepers:

'76 motobécane grand record

'84 davidson challenge

with a carradice zipped roll. it allows me to grab lunch, a few groceries, or spare bike parts pretty easily.

'73 falcon san remo

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
'81 univega gran rally

'80 motobécane grand jubilé

'84 fuji club fuji

'83 nishiki international

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are beautiful. Very nice work. Just curious, what approximate size are they? :p
thanks. I ride 56-57. the grand record is a sport-touring bike that has a little longer top tube. even with a shorter cinelli stem, it's a bit too long for me.

the bars on my three keepers are all cinelli 64-38 bars, my faves.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
'75 centurion super lemans

'83 univega viva sport

'73 peugeot pr10

'80 peugeot pkn10

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
another univega gran rally, this time from '80

'79 trek 930/938 (my first columbus sl frameset)

'80 trek 414

'84 univega sportour-s

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
'79 sekai 4000

'81 mondia super, made of 531sl, the lightest steel tubing i think i've owned

'87 schwinn letour

'80 windsor touring elite, made of columbus sl/sp

there are several more, but these were my favorite bikes and pics.

·
Huge in Japan
455 Posts
there are several more, but these were my favorite bikes and pics.
Way to rub it in dude, way to rub it in. Seriously though very nice. I'm a Frank Black fan too...not sure if that is who your username nods to or not, not that it is relevant here but none the less am a fan of his and your bike collection too apparently.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Good grief. What a collection!! I had a Motobecane (bought new by me (in '74) - Mostly Campagnolo with a Stronglight crank. I'll bet that Falcon was built be Ernie Clements himself.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ that first one, the moto, looks like a tall version of my '76 g.record.

for some reason, i'd guess it's a le champion, though.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well done.. I like it
thanks.

I'm a Frank Black fan too...
yeah, my id is kind of a play on frank black and françois truffaut. the avatar is from the film, 'the 400 blows,' when antoine feels pure joy in the centrifuge. i've seen frank black, the breeders, and the pixies a few times.

Good grief. What a collection!!
ha, yeah, well, i really wish i could've kept more of them. my first post shows my three keepers. i really like to wrench, rebuild, and pass on another bike to a new rider. i get a big kick out of turning people on to mid-level vintage bikes.

had a Motobecane (bought new by me (in '74) - Mostly Campagnolo with a Stronglight crank.
that's the one thing mine is missing, and aficionados will notice the crank right away. it was my second build after the falcon. once i built and rode the falcon, i had to rebuild the moto in the same mold. so they're basically the same bike. the differences are the falcon is a little lighter in the rear stays and has a shorter top tube. the moto makes the perfect grocery getter.

I'll bet that Falcon was built be Ernie Clements himself.
such a cool badge, eh.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
You've got some nice bikes there, but a coupla them are deserving of nicer brake lever hoods. I've found Campagnolo repo hoods at cycles de Oro for a good price, and while they aren't shown on the link they might be worth a call. Hillary Stone has them in gum, black and white, for what seems to be a fair price.

Hilary Stone Spare Parts Brakes

cycles de ORO's current in stock vintage stuff

Brown Product Yellow White Tan

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^ i agree.

a shop in town sells those nicer repro hoods for about $24. that's about $10 more than the dia-compe 204s i've been buying for nicer bikes.

on flips, i had been buying the ubiquitous cane creeks, but i really hate them. they're ugly and don't fit right on anything.

my three keepers now sport 204s. but the next time i retape the bars, i'll probably take your advice and upgrade to the more gum looking repros.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,137 Posts
i had been buying the ubiquitous cane creeks, but i really hate them. they're ugly and don't fit right on anything.
I humbly disagree. I like the Cane Creeks because I have big hands. Those original non-aero brake levers feel like I'm holding a ruler when I ride and for that reason I have them on all my restorations that use aero cable routing (even on my Colnago Export with Campy C-Record).

+1 on the Sum M13ii rims. I tried to buy a purple pair directly from Sun when the internet was new (AOL and 56k modem) to match my purple splatter PDG Paramount.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Great rides all, and particularly like the head badge, but why all levers placed so high on the bars? You must never ride in the hooks?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts