Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Wellgo Look knock-offs that came on my bike. They have worked fine for me for two seasons now. The other day, my right pedal suddenly became very tough to get out of. My cleats are in great shape and I have made no adjustments to the pedal at all. Anyone know why it would get like this all of a sudden?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Are you sure your cleats are in great shape?

That would be the first thing I would suspect. You can also inspect the plastic clamp in the rear, maybe loosen up the tension and see if it moves ok.

However, my money is bet on the cleat just being worn enough to make it hard to unclip.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,346 Posts
cthomas said:
That would be the first thing I would suspect. You can also inspect the plastic clamp in the rear, maybe loosen up the tension and see if it moves ok.

However, my money is bet on the cleat just being worn enough to make it hard to unclip.
Also, IIRC Wellgos don't have a great rep to begin with

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How are these Wellgo pedals overall? Are they ok or junk? I was under the impression that they come on the bike as sort of a "cheap filler" until you get real pedals. I never had a problem with them, so I never changed them.

I will try putting a new cleat on there and see if it fixes the problem!

·
Registered
376 Posts
They are ok

You pretty much get what you pay for, but I know several riders who have had them for years. I have an old pair on one of my kid's bikes. Work fine. Mostly they skimp on bearings, etc., so they are a low end pedal. However, if they work for you and you don't feel the jones for a new pair, why change?

I am too fickle and have to change pedals (and bikes, components, etc.) every so often. It's a sickness.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
try this

I have Ultegra pedals/cleats and had a similar experience. This might help you.

Do you mostly clip/unclip using the same foot (i.e. mostly right foot, based on your question)?

if so and assuming your cleats are bi-directional then just swap over cleats left to right on your shoes and see if it helps.

In my case my left cleat had problems because I always clip/unclip with my left foot. So the left cleat was worn more than right. I swapped them over and the problem disappeared, ~1000 miles ago.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
acid_rider said:
I have Ultegra pedals/cleats and had a similar experience. This might help you.

Do you mostly clip/unclip using the same foot (i.e. mostly right foot, based on your question)?

if so and assuming your cleats are bi-directional then just swap over cleats left to right on your shoes and see if it helps.

In my case my left cleat had problems because I always clip/unclip with my left foot. So the left cleat was worn more than right. I swapped them over and the problem disappeared, ~1000 miles ago.
That's a great idea...I'll try that today, thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok...I swapped the cleats on my shoes. I didn't put new ones on, but switched them from left to right. Same problem. I still have a very hard time unclipping from my right pedal. The left pedal, that now has the cleat from the right one unclips and clips perfectly. I have looked over the pedal meticulously and found nothing obvious. I lubed everything as best I could...no luck. Could it just be that Wellgo's aren't designed to last for 3 seasons?

·
Island Hopping cyclist
530 Posts
Clean the releasing hinge on the pedal. Any debris in there will jam it up. I had a similar problem with Look pedals after a stop on loose sand. I clipped back in, rode off, but couldn't unclip once I tried to stop again.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
The only time(s) I've had a problem like this is when the cleats were'nt tight enough on my shoes. The red Looks have some built-in float, so if they work loose, it isn't always obvious. If they're just a little loose, they'll rotate on the sole of your shoe, making uncliping very difficult. Make sure the cleats are very tight.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Not quite........

Praetorian27 said:
How are these Wellgo pedals overall? Are they ok or junk? I was under the impression that they come on the bike as sort of a "cheap filler" until you get real pedals. I never had a problem with them, so I never changed them.

I will try putting a new cleat on there and see if it fixes the problem!
I would'nt call Wellgo pedals junk. They might not be the same level as upper end "Look", but they're still pretty good. In fact, just recently I re-installed my old Wellgo pedals because the cleats wore out on my Looks. They're just as silky smooth now as they were when I took them off. I have about 4000 miles on them too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.