Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pinkie, my fixed gear project last summer, was recently vandalized outside of my apartment on my campus. It makes me sad. The wheels were beaten out of true, the fork bent in half, and the chainring bent. So now I guess I'm going to take some time and money and rebuild everything. A couple questions, though - what size chainrings are people using? I was using a 52 but want a smaller one to run a smaller cog in the back. Is it possible to bend a chainring back, or am i better off just buying a new one? I suppose I need a new fork, probably like an old schwinn style? And can wheels that are bent pretty far out of true be trued by just replacing the broken spoke and truing it, or does it literally need to be beat back into place?

Thankssss

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Bummer, dude

That's a stupid shame. The answers to your questions are not happy ones.

The wheels may be toast. A badly bent rim can sometimes be trued by adjusting spokes, but spoke tension will be very uneven and they won't stay true. You can try loosening a lot of spokes and bending the rim back to some semblance of round before re-truing, but it depends on how bad the damage was.

The fork is dead. The replacement needs to approximately match the rake of the old one if you don't want to adversely change handling.

The chainring should probably replaced. Any size can give you a useable gear with the right cog choice. Anything from 38 to 52 can cover the range. A lot of people use 40 or 42.

Since the ring was bent, make sure the crank spider isn't also damaged.

Good luck. If you're trying to go cheap, check out garage sales and thrift stores, for either a whole bike to use or one you can cannibalize for parts.

·
RoadBikeReview Member
342 Posts
my fixed gear project last summer, was recently vandalized outside of my apartment on my campus.

our legal system sucks.
In the old west, if you f'd with a mans horse you got shot - no question's asked.
Sorry to hear about your bike being trashed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts