Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I may go get a job or something like employment after spending the last couple of years taking care of the munchkin.

Last week I did a ride to see if I could scope out a reasonable route to this potential job. Boy, I just couldn't come up with anything that will work. I'm pretty comfortable on a bike, but the shorter way to this job has way too much traffic and trucking and madness to make it doable. I tried the route in the middle of the day, and it was very bad, so at rush hour I could forget it.

There is another way around that could work out, but the distance is too far to do roundtrips. It's about 25 miles each way, and I just don't get a hall pass for 50 miles a day. Even that route has it's congested spots, but I think it's not bad if I put on some tough tires and don't mind jumping on a sidewalk here or there. In fact, most of it would be good roads and MUT. I think the ticket will be to drive to work and leave the car overnight for the ride home and back. I could do that a couple of times a week, I suppose.

Lastly, I even tried to piece together a bus/bike combo that would work, but the system connects so poorly that you would need to budget over 2 hours each way versus a 30 min drive. I suppose that's what I get for living in the 'burbs and not working downtown.

So, anybody else do the 1-way ride thing?

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
OverStuffed said:
How 'bout driving to a spot you can bike from?
My problem is that the part of the commute that I don't want to ride is the last 25%. I think I've found a way through.... test riding it tomorrow if the wind dies down a bit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts