Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So guys, on my Tri bike (GT Vengeance), I've replaced the fork with a QR Carbon Aero. However, when I went to install it into the headset,It would go prety far, then stop. I noticed that the steerer is metal, and there is an aluminum "collar" where the steerer meets the carbon. This collar is what's stopping the fork from extending all the way through the headset for proper installation. The headset is an older Aheadset. In your opinion, do I need to purchase another headset? Or, is there another way this can work?

Here's a pic of the fork. You'll notice the shiny collar at the base of the steerer tube. That's what's stopping the fork from fully extending through the headset.

Writing implement Pen Stationery Couch Hardwood

In the meantime, I'll continue to do some research and try and find an answer.

Thanks guys!

Phil

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
sounds like it's a tapered fork meaning it's larger in diameter at the bottom (typical one is 1 1/8 at top and 1.5 at bottom but there are other sizes). If that's right, then it's not compatible with your frame. You can run a standard fork in a tapered frame but not vice versa (unless someone makes some wierd adapter but I haven't heard of one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response Steve. Indeed, you're correct in that it IS tapered. But isn't there a headset out there for tapered forks?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Always know exactly what you need before buying parts.
Dats why I like talking to the guys at the shop and don't mind ordering through them.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but after a good 30 seconds of googling, the vengeance is old, as in 1" steer tube old. Tapered isn't likely the issue, more likely you got a 1-1/8" fork and it slips through the bearings until it hangs on the larger portion of the steer tube where the crown race fits.
Make sure you bring all the parts to your shop so they can see EVERYTHING. Too many people bring half the parts, then we take them at their word on the parts that aren't present and that's when mistakes happen.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Take one fork in one hand and... with the other fork in the other hand, and hold them close together. Then you will see what exactly the situation is. They need to look the same to fit the same hole. I know of the sq peg thingy, I are one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but after a good 30 seconds of googling, the vengeance is old, as in 1" steer tube old. Tapered isn't likely the issue, more likely you got a 1-1/8" fork and it slips through the bearings until it hangs on the larger portion of the steer tube where the crown race fits.
Make sure you bring all the parts to your shop so they can see EVERYTHING. Too many people bring half the parts, then we take them at their word on the parts that aren't present and that's when mistakes happen.
Thanks for your response. It's much appreciated. I did speak to my lbs, and the tech there seems to think there is a headset that will work. Well, he specifically said the bottom cup ofit. I'll be taking everything to him for him to see.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, just an update on the fork issue. It's been remedied. Thew tapered fork only flared out, an even 3mm. So, my friend at his machine shop milled out the lower cup inside diameter 5mm's. Works perfectly now!

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle part Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OMG SORRY GUYS! Geez, In my excitement, I left out a decimal point and a zero. He said he only needed to shave .05, from the inside of the lower cup of the headset

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Maybe it is a double headset, in case one needs a longer wheelbase for a fast track?

I thought the headset was oversize until I saw the original bike.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
It's a 1997 Vengeance, they have those headtubes, looking at the1997 catalogue right now and thats how it is...changed for 1998...

teeny wheels, 650C 's

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.