Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Locally, here we have some pretty rough roads (chip-seal everywhere, big-diameter gravel). So, many of the recreational riders that I see complain that "hey, this well-regarded bla-bla bike (often a Cannondale CAAD8) rides too rough: I need something smoother: gotta have full carbon" I kindly point out that "hey, why are you riding Ksyrium SL's if you are interested in ride quality?" Get some 32-hole wheels and nice tires! And don't ride at 120psi if you weigh 150lbs! But, they balk every time: it is always implied that 32-hole wheels are "too heavy" and "not cool enough" event though these guys aren't really even serious riders, and definitely not going to notice the aero advantage of a Ksyrium SL at an average speed of 14mph.

Why it is always "the frame is too rough ect.", but nobody pays any attention to wheel/tire choice? Sure, many local racers ride stiff wheels, but they realize that it makes a rough ride and don't complain (or they train on 32-hole wheels). Do you just have to ride a stiff race wheel these days to be considered "cool"?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
dawgcatching said:
Locally, here we have some pretty rough roads (chip-seal everywhere, big-diameter gravel). So, many of the recreational riders that I see complain that "hey, this well-regarded bla-bla bike (often a Cannondale CAAD8) rides too rough: I need something smoother: gotta have full carbon" I kindly point out that "hey, why are you riding Ksyrium SL's if you are interested in ride quality?" Get some 32-hole wheels and nice tires! And don't ride at 120psi if you weigh 150lbs! But, they balk every time: it is always implied that 32-hole wheels are "too heavy" and "not cool enough" event though these guys aren't really even serious riders, and definitely not going to notice the aero advantage of a Ksyrium SL at an average speed of 14mph.

Why it is always "the frame is too rough ect.", but nobody pays any attention to wheel/tire choice? Sure, many local racers ride stiff wheels, but they realize that it makes a rough ride and don't complain (or they train on 32-hole wheels). Do you just have to ride a stiff race wheel these days to be considered "cool"?
1 - It's an excuse for buying something new.

2 - 90% of what we ride (not just wheels) is not the best for how we ride. Is the Caad 8 or the carbon frame really the best for the way they ride? We all try to fit ourselves into the Pro/marketing mold.

TF

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Good thing frame material and wheelchoice don't contribute anything to "comfort". :D

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
dawgcatching said:
Sure, many local racers ride stiff wheels, but they realize that it makes a rough ride and don't complain (or they train on 32-hole wheels). Do you just have to ride a stiff race wheel these days to be considered "cool"?
What are "stiff wheels"? My 1800g 32h Record/Ambrosio wheels are pretty stiff.:)

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
SDizzle said:
What are "stiff wheels"? My 1800g 32h Record/Ambrosio wheels are pretty stiff.:)
it is not the wheel stiffness that is relevant, it is how you stiffen in the back when you swipe the visa at purchase. It's all that matter :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
dawgcatching said:

I posted a thread yesterday asking for advice and recommendations on the Neuvation wheelset and I have to admit one of the reasons I'm interested in these wheels is that they're "cool" looking - the 32 hole Open Pros that I'm riding now just don't seem to have the high zoot factor of the boutique wheels. Well, thanks for bringing me back to the real world! The OP's have been a very reliable wheelset and have stayed true for the 6 years that I've had them. And you're right, they seem to be more comfortable than the high dollar racing wheels (have tested Velomax's and SL's) and I'm not a racer. So, I guess I'll "stay true" to the OP's for a while longer.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
I race, and have two pairs (plus a powertap rear) on OPs all with 32 spokes. No radial fronts. I have a set of Eurus wheels for race day, it is merely the sound that is probably different.

But race day IS race day, and for competitive/psychological edge race-day only equipment sometimes helps it get serious.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spunout said:
I race, and have two pairs (plus a powertap rear) on OPs all with 32 spokes. No radial fronts. I have a set of Eurus wheels for race day, it is merely the sound that is probably different.

But race day IS race day, and for competitive/psychological edge race-day only equipment sometimes helps it get serious.
For training, I run a pair of 32-hole wheels (Fir rims, Chorus hubs) that, in combination with a good tire (like the Gommitalia Targa/Calypso) is so smooth. I too have Eurus that are my race wheels (the Eurus aren't as stiff as the Ksyrium w/regards to ride-quality, IMO). Sometimes, I just ride the Eurus, even though they can be a little harsh on rougher roads. But, I know enough not to go into the bike shop and complain that I am getting buzzed to death on rough roads!

No worries with riding stiff wheels-I just don't like the whining from certain people that try to associate low-spoke count wheels with a Lazy Boy-like ride.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
hjbiker43 said:
...just don't seem to have the high zoot factor of the boutique wheels.
Zoot? ZOOT?!

You just need to get what you want. OPs, while high-performance, are boring, and always have been. (OK, the blue ones were nice.) There are lots of equal and sometimes better options - Ambrosio, FiR, even Velocity - all with much more zoot than even your average pre-built, but they can be tough to find.

Here's my take. Sorry about the crappy photos - it's freaking cold and dismal outside, I put in my three hours, and only wanted to take some photos and get my bike into the warm garage...

·
Registered
22 Posts
SDizzle said:
Zoot? ZOOT?!

You just need to get what you want. OPs, while high-performance, are boring, and always have been. (OK, the blue ones were nice.) There are lots of equal and sometimes better options - Ambrosio, FiR, even Velocity - all with much more zoot than even your average pre-built, but they can be tough to find.

Here's my take. Sorry about the crappy photos - it's freaking cold and dismal outside, I put in my three hours, and only wanted to take some photos and get my bike into the warm garage...

Yeah...you could say the OPs are boring, but they get the job done. No fuss, no worry, just keep on going. Guess that's all I'll ever need! May be boring, but I'm still enjoying the ride.

BTW, great pics! You think it's cold? At least your driveway is clear - I can't even find mine. Looks like some hammering on the shovel tomorrow. Oh fun!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts