Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you're the original owner there is no need to worry. Take them back to your dealer and specialized should take care of it. If you're not the original owner you might be purchasing a new set of wheels :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:

Dealer called and said it's a known issue with these wheels and they have to replace both wheels. The wheels they want to replace them with are the 2010 Rovals with the bright red hubs and spokes. WTF! I'm pissed because I have a 2012 SW Venge and they came with a completely different color and design. I don't want wheels that are 2 years older than my bike. When it comes to sell it I don't want to advertise it with older wheels that IMO are far less aesthetically pleasing than the ones I currently have. :mad2:

·
Registered
908 Posts
Update:

Dealer called and said it's a known issue with these wheels and they have to replace both wheels. The wheels they want to replace them with are the 2010 Rovals with the bright red hubs and spokes. WTF! I'm pissed because I have a 2012 SW Venge and they came with a completely different color and design. I don't want wheels that are 2 years older than my bike. When it comes to sell it I don't want to advertise it with older wheels that IMO are far less aesthetically pleasing than the ones I currently have. :mad2:
Call Specialized and talk to them.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
If this was a "known issue" then Specialized should be recalling these wheels as this could very well be a safety issue! I would be pissed too if after dropping all that $ and being offered 2 year old wheels. And I also agree with u that that color scheme was way too "loud" and pretentious IMO. Be more proactive and demand newer model wheels. Or at least credit to purchase another brand of wheels. Ridiculous. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Update:

That's a joke. No way. Do not accept that at all. You should be getting same model year or the newer 2013 all carbon wheels. Id venture to say that offering an older part as a product warranty replacement is a violation of law.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First off thanks for your guys' support. A quick update:
Still working through the shop with Specialized and still no reasonable resolution. They offered me the 2010 wheels as a replacement or a partial credit towards the new Rovals. I'm even more pissed now. So their product is defective with a "known issue" and the only options are old wheels or letting me pay hundreds of dollars for an upgrade??!?! :mad2: I love Specialized bikes but this is far from standing behind your products!

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
This whole thing smells fishy- Spesh themselves said they'd offer you OLD wheels?
With the bad rap Specialized currently has (thanks to the Volagi lawsuit), this seems like a stupid solution.
Or is this your local shop trying to pass off some old stock they have laying around?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This whole thing smells fishy- Spesh themselves said they'd offer you OLD wheels?
With the bad rap Specialized currently has (thanks to the Volagi lawsuit), this seems like a stupid solution.
Or is this your local shop trying to pass off some old stock they have laying around?
This is straight from the regional Specialized rep, not the shop. The shop has been more than helpful and is on my side. Yesterday I contacted the Specialized customer service number and told them my story. They were very receptive and agreed with me that these options were unacceptable. Hopefully I will hear something on Monday and get a resolution.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I disagree with the majority's assessment. OP didn't pay for the higher end CLX 60s, he paid for crappy aluminum/carbon Rovals months ago. Why should Specialized take it in the *ss and just give him a new set of full carbon wheels that are significantly more expensive. He deserves cost credit of his old wheels towards the purchase of a new set of wheels at cost. I'm sure if any of you owned your own business, you would understand Specialized's position. And, don't give me the big S shouldn't care because they're huge and can afford it BS, they are in this to make money, not provided customers a bonanza. OP bought a SW Venge, he can afford to pay the extra $400 for the significantly - and I mean significantly - better wheels.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I disagree with the majority's assessment. OP didn't pay for the higher end CLX 60s, he paid for crappy aluminum/carbon Rovals months ago. Why should Specialized take it in the *ss and just give him a new set of full carbon wheels that are significantly more expensive. He deserves cost credit of his old wheels towards the purchase of a new set of wheels at cost. I'm sure if any of you owned your own business, you would understand Specialized's position. And, don't give me the big S shouldn't care because they're huge and can afford it BS, they are in this to make money, not provided customers a bonanza. OP bought a SW Venge, he can afford to pay the extra $400 for the significantly - and I mean significantly - better wheels.
Oh, that is VERY wrong.

First of all, an aluminum brake track doesn't make a wheel "crappy."

And second of all, what he can "afford" has nothing to do with it. If anything, when you buy premium products, you get the better warranty service, not the poorer service because you are determined by someone...who is that, exactly?......that you can "afford" to make up the difference.

Now.....The wheels have a lifetime warranty against defects. Not a pro-rated warranty...a full warranty. That means that should the product fail due to defects, then it will be replaced with a part of equal or greater value. In this case, the Rovals that are being claimed for warranty replacement are no longer made and the comparable part are the new all carbon wheels. So that is what the user is entitled to. it is NOT his fault that they no longer make nor have available the year and model wheel he had and broke. If they did, then fine, he should get that wheelset, not the new ones. But under ZERO circumstances should he EVER get a part from a model year, let alone TWO model years previous to the part that broke. Ever. That's the law.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the responses and PM's about this. Specialized corporate just got back to me and they are sticking to their offer of getting me older model wheels or paying $420 to upgrade to CLX60 wheels. SPECIALIZED DOES NOT HONOR THEIR "LIFETIME" WARRANTY AND BUYERS SHOULD BEWARE!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for the responses and PM's about this. Specialized corporate just got back to me and they are sticking to their offer of getting me older model wheels or paying $420 to upgrade to CLX60 wheels. SPECIALIZED DOES NOT HONOR THEIR "LIFETIME" WARRANTY AND BUYERS SHOULD BEWARE!
I totally agree that if Specialized is going to warranty these wheels then they should make it right and either replace them with the same model or something higher. But at the same time, I probably wouldn't feel too bad for paying $420 for an upgrade to a nicer wheelset.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.