Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 20 yrs of riding the Seven Axiom I decided to convert it to flat bars and a few simpler mods. Originally set up with with Shimano Ultegra 3x9, Cinellli drop bars, and Wheelsmith wheels.
Now set up with a Easton EC90 XC carbon flat bar, Control Tech 1"x 25.4 x 150mm/5 degree stem, Shimano XTR M970 rear shifter, Shimano bl r550 flat bar brake levers, and Ergon GP3 grips. I retained the Ultegra brakes. Still using my Bebop pedals.
I swapped out the 11-25 cassette for a 11-28, and replaced the 3 chainrings, 32/42/52 for a single 40T.
The shifter works great with the original Ultegra rear derailleur, and no derailleur adjustment was needed for the 11-28 cassette.
I'm still using the original Wheelsmith wheels, and will be replacing the 23 x 700 tires pair of Vittoria Rubino ProG 28mm tires.

I converted my wife's Axiom to flat bars last year. It was a little more involved because she wanted to retain the Campy Record group set. I went with the Campy Ergo flat bar shifter brake set up, a Seven titanium flat bar, and a Redshift suspension stem. We kept the 30/42/52 crankset and the 13-26 cassette. The wheels are zipp and the tires are the 28mm Vittoria Rubino.
Fun stuff, and it keeps us riding.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.