Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was of the opinion that any kind of stationary/indoor type of cycling was a ridiculous way to spend your time. Staring at a computer screen and watching a digital display just wasn't something I wanted to do.

Recently, I had a conversation with a cycling friend. "Been riding much? "No weathers bad, busy at work, waiting to daylight savings.". etc. . He talked me into trying a spin class. He and a number of avid road riders I know go to spin classes when they can't get out on the road. So, I joined the Y and gave it a try. I did not think I would like it but have really enjoyed it.

The machines are plain Schwinn carbon blue. No, electronics. We ride in a room with an instructor, a video projector and music. I am not going to say that it is anywhere like the road cycling experience, but it is fun and pretty hard work. 2 months in, I have lost 14 pounds and gained a lot of strength and a good bit of room in the seat of my slacks. It has improved my road riding quite a bit. The instructor helped me improve my pedal stroke and cadence. I am riding faster and stronger for longer distances than I ever have this early in the season.

It is not for everyone, but it is helping me.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Before I got back into cycling I would do spin classes at my local Y w/the Mrs. It was great fun and a great workout. I often enjoyed the ability to simply close my eyes and focus on the work I was doing (not something I can do on the road).

Like you I lost a bunch of weight and once I felt strong enough I started taking the road bike on longer/harder rides. That lead into more road bike rides and I haven't touched a spin class in at least a year (maybe more).

I live in SoCal so we have riding weather pretty much all year round, so I would rather be out than inside a gym, but this is my personal preference and I think spin classes do offer a great value/alternative.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I tried spin classes some time back. I found it both very difficult and different from riding a road bike. I found the use of the resistance dial very artificial and the high rpm cycling very different from the way I approach my road bike. I can see how it would be useful to train in the winter in a spin class, it just wasn't for me. I found I'd prefer to go out in the worst kinds of weather over going to the gym and doing a spin class. I also didn't like the loud music.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried spin classes some time back. I found it both very difficult and different from riding a road bike. I found the use of the resistance dial very artificial and the high rpm cycling very different from the way I approach my road bike. I can see how it would be useful to train in the winter in a spin class, it just wasn't for me. I found I'd prefer to go out in the worst kinds of weather over going to the gym and doing a spin class. I also didn't like the loud music.
You are right about all of that. They bust our butts with high cadence, heavy resistance and lots of standing. It is definitely not like riding a bike on the road.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
I've been doing winter spinning for probably over 10 years now. It's how I get through the winter with keeping some level of aerobic capacity and legs in shape. True it's nowhere near the same as real road cycling but I find it makes the transition back to the real bike in the spring much easier for me. In my case there are some other road riders there but none of the instructors ride. Remember that you can modify as you see fit during the class. High cadence is relative. I tend to ride in the mid 90s. Most of my classes hover around that with some higher and some lower parts. LOTS of standing. As for heavy resistance that's one area I modify. I'm not going to load up more than I care for. There's also a move called "jumps" (quickly transitioning up and down on the saddle). Too fast and those bug my knees so I modify there too. Any good instructor will usually encourage modifying and even recommend alternate movements.

But now we are getting into the part of the year where I'm starting to dread class. I've been out on the road a bunch of times already but the weather's not quite good enough consistently for me to transition completely over to road riding and say "farewell until DST ends" to my classmates. So, a couple more weeks of 5:45am classes...

The music is loud where I go so I've been wearing foam ear plugs. I like loud music, but multiple times a week for music that's not my choice? Screw that and save your ears. You can actually hear instructor callouts better with plugs too.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ive been to some spin classes with the wife over the winter. "spinning" has not much in common with cycling, but it beats laying on the couch on the weekend whilst it's snowing and -20 outside. I too wear earplugs. oh- my slacks thank me as well.

Some decent scenery as well :)

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
I've been doing Spin classes for four years now in the off season. This last winter I was doing five hours (classes) a week, and then another five days (hours) on the spin bikes in the general area. I could have done more classes, but I couldn't stand some of the instructors. They insisted on doing things that seemed stupid (and for non-cyclists) to me.
It was all intervals, and when done, I had to clean up the floor under the bike.
When it's below freezing, you can go outside, but then, you are either over-dressed, or
under-dressed, unless you plan to just do a low zone two ride.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
What can I say, I am 61 years old.
Oh, a young guy, huh?
I've never called pants slacks.
I'm not even sure that my father called pants slacks.......My mother might have though.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
another option in winter around here is mountain biking. kinda like spin class, it is all hard intervals around here on the steep trails. but, 4 years since we had any snow so mtn bike accessible. Easier to dress for - I wear shorts all winter (only makes sense, as I live in Canada)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey, I will stop leering at them when they stop leering at me :). My wife always tells me " Lookie, no touchy". I am married to a cool lady.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Spin class is what got me back out road biking after all these years. That an a women who wanted some company in class. Can't say I was thrilled at first and we all know I started taking class for other reason but at least one thing stuck (Spin and road biking).. But I will say it does help your mental focus when some 20-30 something takes the bike in front of you and it happens to be a long out of the seat day. Some serious focus is required on those days (eyes to the floor).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts