Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am pretty new to road cyling in general and only got into it to do triathlons. my problem is that my stuff is going numb on my rides i have tried different seats without alot of help. today i did a 46 mile ride today with a new saddle finished at about 11 it is 8 pm now and still feeling alittle numb starting to freak abit HELP

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Very common, and nothing to ignore

That's a very common side effect, and you shouldn't ignore it. It can lead to nerve and blood vessel damage that can result in impotence.
Fortunately, there's been a ton of stuff written about it here and elsewhere. Google something like "cycling impotence" or "cycling numbness" or any number of things about the pudendal nerve and you'll find more information than you can apply in a lifetime.
FWIW, a Brooks B17 saddle solved the problem for me. Sometimes just adjusting the tilt so the nose of the saddle is slightly down will do the trick.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
anaheimhills said:
yes the bike was fitted to me. i am riding alot in the areobars
Is the seat you are using designed for riding in the aerobars. A lot of tri seats are designed to be a bit wider in the nose and also have a curve to alow the boys to not be squished when hunched over in the aerobars. I have been through 4 -5 seats in the last 2 years, just went to the men's Terry Fly saddle and so far so good on long rides. No numbness or pain. Saddles sometimes take a while to get right.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Your pelvis could be tilting forward onto the meaty part of your taint a bit much. That's what aero does and why those tri seats are often longer in the nose. My observation is that the sit bones planted at the rear part of the saddle will feel much better but that's difficult to achieve in aero. Even when more upright, sometimes you have to consciously push yourself back onto the working part of the seat(where you can just feel the rear edge). When I do that, I feel an immediate change in pressure. You can also stand fairly freqently on hills, even when not putting down more power, just to restore circulation. As for saddles, I have talked to people with boxes of saddles but I feel you have to stick with one for a long time(within reason) before you know if it will work for you. All saddles felt uncomfortable when I first started riding consistently. Additional padding helps some pain but too much can conform up into the vital areas adding pressure. The saddle I have now would have killed me two years ago. Eventually your body adjusts to the typical discomforts but the miles have to build (maybe in smaller increments) and gradually your taint will become used to the pressure. The sit bones are where it's at for me. BUT that type of lasting numbness is serious and that aero position IMO is not something to stay in for miles and miles.
JMO

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Another thought: How low are your bars?

Your mention of aerobars reminded me of another possibility: How low are your bars? It's pretty common these days, especially among tri geeks, to have them several inches below the saddle. If you're riding on the aeros for a long time, and the bars are low, you could be mashing your junk. Could you raise them a little and still get the flat back you want? Or decide that sex when you're 40 is more important to you than being 0.2mph faster now and raise them anyway?

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Stand up

anaheimhills said:
yes the bike was fitted to me. i am riding alot in the areobars
You should NEVER let things go numb. I am amazed at the number of people who complete a ride and then notice that Peter has gone to sleep. Notice it while you're riding and get out of the saddle until it goes away. If you pay attention, this will only take a few pedal strokes standing up every mile or so, depending on your personal situation. For long rides on the aero bars, you had better take a look at saddle tilt.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Shorts and position

Make sure you have some quality shorts. Also as the perivous posts states.. you should be getting up out the saddle if discomfort comes or the worst numbness.

Same for your hand position on the handle bars. Since you have different bars this may not apply

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
You should NEVER let things go numb. I am amazed at the number of people who complete a ride and then notice that Peter has gone to sleep. Notice it while you're riding and get out of the saddle until it goes away.
Folks get target fixation and don't notice until the post race party. Following a really hot chick (or guy if that's your thing) during the ride helps.

Actually, I'm surprised it doesn't start to hurt a bit before it goes numb.

·
Registered
351 Posts
anaheimhills said:
i am pretty new to road cyling in general and only got into it to do triathlons. my problem is that my stuff is going numb on my rides i have tried different seats without alot of help. today i did a 46 mile ride today with a new saddle finished at about 11 it is 8 pm now and still feeling alittle numb starting to freak abit HELP
I had numbness in that area with a new bike (and new saddle). I was going numb within 20 minutes. Long story short: it turned out that my saddle was 1/2" too high and a smidge too far back. Since I made that adjustment, my boys have been fine.

A small adjustment can go a long way in comfort.

·
Short legs spinnin' fast
256 Posts
Easy solution

anaheimhills said:
Having a father who grew up on a farm, I have a perfect solution for this. Take a rubber band and wrap it tightly around your stuff.....very tightly. If you do it properly you'll cut off the blood flow down there, and eventually your stuff will just fall right off. You'll never have to worry about saddle numbness again (and as an added bonus you'll never have to worry about any illegitimate children......)!!!

In all seriousness.......you may need to play around with saddle position & height a bit, and maybe try out another type of saddle. Get a decent pair of chamois.....they really do make a difference. I generally shift around in my saddle a bit to stay comfortable. Good luck as you figure out what works for you. And take care of the boys......they're kind of irreplaceable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.