Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I did a metric century ride out to the Nubble Lighthouse in York, Maine. I brought my camera with me and took my time so I could take plenty of pictures, which I include below for your enjoyment. :)

The ride started at 7 AM and I was surprised with how foggy it was. I didn't bring my rear blinky and kind of wish that I had. Fortunately traffic was almost non-existent at this hour in the morning. The attached photos are from riding through Dover, NH. I especially like the backward helmet shot - the full size version is really impressive.

· Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In little time I made it across the border into Maine. I was following a route that a local riding group did back in May, and I found the roads were well-picked to avoid traffic, but the pavement quality varied from okay to abysmal for many stretches. However there were many stream crossings and the scenery made it worthwhile.

Note the, um...creative method someone thought up to fertilize their garden. :thumbsup:

· Banned
20,310 Posts
nice pictures. that kind of scenery is what biking is all about.

Thanks for sharing.

· Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eventually I reached my destination....Nubble Light. This is a gorgeous site on the Maine seacoast, but to my slight disappointment there was considerable fog on the ocean. It was only a slight disappointment because getting there is the point, not the destination....

· Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will end my thread of pics with the following shots I took on the ride home, which passed through Portsmouth and Newington, NH. The first bridge you see there (which separates Kittery, ME from Portsmouth, NH) is a fairly unusual drawbridge which lifts the middle section of the bridge up and down vertically.

The second bridge (which includes an obligatory bike photo) is a pedestrian/bike bridge which goes over the Little Bay in Newington, NH.

Finally, a shot of yours truly - a happy (if Fredly) cyclist in the process of accomplishing today's metric century. The total ride was just over 65 miles.

Enjoy!

Scott

· Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave Hickey said:
Great report.....What are the temps this time of year?
It was a bit cooler than what's typical in early July. When I started the ride at 7 AM it was in the low 60s and by the time I returned around noonish it had reached 80 F with about 70% humidity.

The forecast for the rest of the week is 85 - 90 F with a chance of thunderstorms. By mid-August it can reach the upper 90s with high humidity, but things will cool down quickly in September.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
What are the temps this time of year?
Up the Maine coast about 3.5 hours we started our local Bar Harbor sunday group ride with about 65* at 9 am and ended up with a sweltering hot 76* at noon once we turned inland away from that nice cool fog along the coast. I mean it was HOT (for us native mainiacs anyway):p

Nice pics zpl... I call our maine fog the natural air conditioner.

singlecross

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
singlecross said:
Up the Maine coast about 3.5 hours we started our local Bar Harbor sunday group ride with about 65* at 9 am and ended up with a sweltering hot 76* at noon once we turned inland away from that nice cool fog along the coast. I mean it was HOT (for us native mainiacs anyway):p

Nice pics zpl... I call our maine fog the natural air conditioner.

singlecross

I did 90 miles today... 78 degrees when I started at 7:00am.. It was close to 100 when I finished.... I drink a lot of Gatorade this time of year

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I did 90 miles today... 78 degrees when I started at 7:00am.. It was close to 100 when I finished.... I drink a lot of Gatorade this time of year
If it gets much above 80* I don't really feel like riding, seriously... time to go look for some shade to lay down in... 50*, drizzle, and a dirt road is my perfect riding scenario. :thumbsup:

singlecross

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Nice pics. I've been to Nobble Light as well as Kittery & Portsmouth. Beautiful places. Thanks for posting.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Very nice. The fog did a great job adding to the mood. I love the ocean!

· il miglior fabbro
273 Posts
We seem to be blessed with fine photographers on this site.

Is that a Garmin Edge on your stem? If so, what model? And how's it working out for you?
(I'm not too happy with my Edge 605 - it keeps freezing up on me.)

· Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bigbri said:
We seem to be blessed with fine photographers on this site.

Is that a Garmin Edge on your stem? If so, what model? And how's it working out for you?
(I'm not too happy with my Edge 605 - it keeps freezing up on me.)
Yes, it's an Edge 305 that I bought refurbished from Ebay earlier this season for $205 shipped. It was from an authorized Garmin dealer so I still have the 1-year full warranty. I have had no problems with it at all.

Garmin seems to have a history of releasing their Edge models before the firmware is really reliable. The Edge 305 was known to be very buggy for a while, but as newer firmware updates were released, the problems were eventually resolved. My guess is the 605 and 705 will need more time to "mature" with firmware updates, and that's one reason why I'm not interested in being an early adopter (that and the fact that they cost so much).

The 305 doesn't have maps but with web sites like bikeroutetoaster.com you can create a route and download it to the 305 as a course. At every turn and major road intersection the 305 will notify me of the turn. The course screen even shows me the distance to the next turn so I know when to pay attention for the alert. This has totally changed how frequently I explore new routes. I print out a cue sheet as backup but didn't have to look at it for the Nubble ride. The Edge 305 was worth every penny I spent on it.

Thanks for the photography compliment - I still consider myself a newbie.

Scott

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.