Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While riding down a local road today with a friend, I braked hard coming into a corner and felt some weird modulation through the rear brake level. It felt like the wheel wasn't true and that the braking power was oscillating. After exiting the corner I asked my buddy to look at my tire from behind and he said it looked true.

About a half mile later I was coming into another corning under hard braking and felt the same sensation. This time it got worse and ended up causing my back wheel to skip off the ground several times. I was almost to the corner and just starting to make the turn when the rear wheel bent and I crashed. Luckily I was ok and my helmet did its job.

After making sure all buddy parts were functioning (which they were) I looked down and saw a pretty bad taco'd rear wheel. Man was I pissed! This wheel only had 1,500 miles on it and never displayed any problems.

This was the second Ksyrium SSC SL that I know of to have problems in the past week. A another friend of mine had his rim split where several spoke nipples pulled through.

So, now I got to figure out to do next. The wheel is under warranty, but I'm leary of Mavic's since this is a pretty bad failure of the product. Before buying the wheel all input/feedback from others said they were 'bombproof'. Not this one...I guess it might be time to go the custom route and get some more stable for my 215 lbs. frame.

Any feedback or questions are welcomed...

-Thanks, Todd

·
Registered
656 Posts
pretty impressive. i've got the Elites on my bike, and i bunny-hop roadkill/trash all the time. granted, i'm around 140# or so, but still....if i can bunny-hop stuff at speed, there's no way that your wheel should just fail like that while you're "just riding along."

from what i hear, Mavic has pretty good customer support- my friend's dad, who rides, called Mavic and told them that his spokes were showing rust spots (i live near the beach), and Mavic sent him some new spokes in the mail, from france, at no cost. encouraging, no?

good luck!

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
This is the end, beautiful friend this is the end. My only friend, the end of our elaborate plans, the end... Can you picture what will be, so limitless and free, desperately in need...

Of a new wheel.

Hope the warranty works out for you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm crossing my fingers that the Mavic folks will stick to their end of the bargin and cover the wheel.

This is the second incident that I've seen in the past week with Ksyrium's SSC SL's going bad. Another friend of mine had 3 spokes in his rear pull out of the rim after the rim developed a split that ran between all of the holes in the rim where the spokes had been connected.

Any recommendations for me as far as the custom wheelbuilding options? I'd like to find light, strong, cheap (yeah, heard the joke...you can pick 2, not three), but I'll pay for quality/safetey after going down after today.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Who are the best respected wheelbuilders around here?

Since it's probably worth some investigation on wheelbuilders, who are some of the better people out there that I should know about?

·
Banned
941 Posts
That's why. .

tmanley said:
This is the second incident that I've seen in the past week with Ksyrium's SSC SL's going bad. Another friend of mine had 3 spokes in his rear pull out of the rim after the rim developed a split that ran between all of the holes in the rim where the spokes had been connected.
. . I went with Campy Neutrons. .Bulletproof for everday beating and light!:cool:

·
Registered
19,427 Posts
hopefully...

you're not actually considering getting another pair and riding them...if I were you, followup on the warranty, get a new rear wheel, and sell them both off as fast as possible while choosing a new brand...companies get one chance to F with my life..that's it. at 215 you're going to stress most wheel manufactured wheelsets..so handbuilts may be a good way to go. stay away from 1400-1600 gram sets would be another suggestion.

·
Registered
650 Posts
gaffa tape and a tweek of some spokes and she'll be right mate. get some handbuilts but avoid revolution spokes they are a bit thin for the big guys like us 215 here too.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Neutron Rims

KATZRKOL said:
. . I went with Campy Neutrons. .Bulletproof for everday beating and light!:cool:
I had a set of Nucleons which I think are identical to Neutrons. Well I got about 17000k out of them then one day I hit a pot hole and "bam!" my rear rim split at the joint. The rims are glued together which isn't a problem but the metal sleeve they used to join the rim split in two and no way in hell can it be repaired. A new rear Nucleon rim only, if you can find one, costs $160. :(

·
Misfit Toy
23,437 Posts
tmanley said:
Since it's probably worth some investigation on wheelbuilders, who are some of the better people out there that I should know about?
I'll check with a friend of mine, she and her husband have a guy they use exclusively.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.