Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

My titanium Soul

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  krisdrum 
#1 ·
If you believe in souls at all that is.

Not quite done yet, but making progress. Still need to put the front brake (needs an extra spacer I am waiting for) and FD (needs a new braze-on clamp), but more or less is up and running. Spec'ed with mostly Rival, with some Red bits thrown in strategically (cassette and brifters).

Thanks to Sean at Soul Bikes. He was great to deal with throughout the process.

#6 ·
PigmyRacer said:
The fork is difficult to see in the picture. Who makes it?

I am not a big fan of the swoopy seatstays on a ti bike, but it looks nice.
The fork is by Trinity. Which is the carbon branch of the Soul stuff. I don't have any real information on it, except it is full carbon except for the dropouts.

I'll try to take some more detailed pictures as the build progresses.

#8 ·
Kuma601 said:
I think it looks pretty sweet.

The HT looks pretty short...what size frame?
Other frame specs please. :)
Yep, short head tube, I'm little. Here are the measurements we came up with:
ST: 48 c-c
TT: 51.8 c-c
HT: 7.8
STA: 75
HTA: 72.5

Numbers were determined using my measurements from a FitMaster fitting.

Right now I have 3cm of spacers under the stem. Current drop is about 6cm, which I thought was be a good place to start and figure out if I want to go lower as I get back into shape and hopefully get more flexible.

Thanks for all the nice comments. My first custom frame and so far I am very happy with it.

#9 ·
PigmyRacer said:
I am not a big fan of the swoopy seatstays on a ti bike, but it looks nice.
I had a Litespeed Tuscany that I rode many thousands of miles, and it had those curved seat stays, which help absorb the harsh jolts, IMHO. My current Serotta has butted and tapered straight seat stays. It looks more classic I suppose, but they do transmit more road vibration. I guess I really prefer the curved carbon seat stay looking back at the options; maybe next time.

#12 ·
krisdrum said:
Yep, short head tube, I'm little. Here are the measurements we came up with:
ST: 48 c-c
TT: 51.8 c-c
HT: 7.8
STA: 75
HTA: 72.5

Numbers were determined using my measurements from a FitMaster fitting.

Right now I have 3cm of spacers under the stem. Current drop is about 6cm, which I thought was be a good place to start and figure out if I want to go lower as I get back into shape and hopefully get more flexible.

Thanks for all the nice comments. My first custom frame and so far I am very happy with it.

wait... custom? and you didn't get an extended HT?

#13 ·
FatTireFred said:
wait... custom? and you didn't get an extended HT?
No. My fitter recommended the shorter headtube. That will allow me to keep it versatile and allow me to change the fit a bit as my fitness and flexibility improves. That was his recommendation, so I went with it. So far the fit seems to be impeccable, so I am happy with the results.

#17 ·
Laifer69 said:
Nice one. Here's mine which i picked up a few months ago. Nothing custom about it but it rides really well. Really good value and Sean Wai @ Soul was a pleasure to deal with.

Laifer
Nice. Sean was awesome, have to agree there.

My frame was done custom as part of the raffle prize. Yes, I won this frame and fork as part of my bike club's raffle to raise money to celebrate their 100th anniversary. I am quite lucky, as there is no way I would have been able to afford a stock ti frame, let alone a custom one anytime soon.

#18 ·
sweet looking ride.

#19 ·
krisdrum said:
Nice. Sean was awesome, have to agree there.

My frame was done custom as part of the raffle prize. Yes, I won this frame and fork as part of my bike club's raffle to raise money to celebrate their 100th anniversary. I am quite lucky, as there is no way I would have been able to afford a stock ti frame, let alone a custom one anytime soon.

Congratulations! I never have any luck at winning anything. At least I'm lucky enough to live only an hour's flight away from Singapore. Maybe I'll pick up a set of their carbon wheels the next time I'm there. Those look pretty sweet too.

Laifer

#21 ·
given that you are running a bunch of spacers and your bike is small overall, you should go for a compact bar. You will probably find that it will fit much better, especially in the drops. The one you currently have are very deep and may be keeping you from riding in the drops or lowering your bars.

Nice bike!

#22 · (Edited)
AlexCad5 said:
given that you are running a bunch of spacers and your bike is small overall, you should go for a compact bar. You will probably find that it will fit much better, especially in the drops. The one you currently have are very deep and may be keeping you from riding in the drops or lowering your bars.

Nice bike!
Thanks for the suggestion. I was considering a compact bar, but decided to go with the ergo instead for the time being. Right now the drops feel the best I have ever had them feel on any bike I've owned, which may be related to finally having a good fit. I'll definitely keep a compact bar in mind though. Might be my first upgrade. I was also recently considering go to a more traditional round drop, which I have on my cross bike. We'll see how much fine tuning the fit needs once I get it on the road for a few more miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.