Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a new bike build from the ground up, so I will be needing a set of wheels to go with it. I have followed Mike's FAQ and here are my desires:

• Why do you want new wheels? What's wrong with your old ones?
    New wheels for a new bike
  • What are you old ones? (rim name, hub name, spokes, their numbers)
    None for new bike, Ultegra 6500 series hubs with Mavic Open Pro's on commuter with 32 spokes (off the shelf generic spokes would be my guest)
  • How much do you want to spend?
    $600-$1200
  • How heavy are you?
    140 pounds
  • Do you ride "light" or "heavy"? Are you powerful or smooth?
    Light? Smooth
  • Have you had problems with your current wheels and if so, what?
    NA
  • What condition are the roads in that you ride?
    Smooth to rutted farm roads
  • What tires, widths and pressures are you using?
    "road tires", 700x25 or 700x28
  • What do you expect from your new wheels that your old ones can't deliver? (be reasonable and realistic here!)
    Looking for something as sturdy and light as possible within my price range
  • What are you going to use the wheels for - recreational riding, touring (loaded), training, racing, general purpose?
    Occasional commuting but mostly Gran Fondos centuries and the respective training for said rides
  • Do you want custom hand-built (designed for you) or factory pre-built?
    No preference
  • Do you want wheels that are easily repairable with readily available, reasonably priced spokes and rims or are you ok with maybe having to ship your wheels back to the factory and wheels that contain expensive, proprietary spokes and possibly un-obtainium replacement rims?
    Easily repairable is preferred
  • Do you need 11spd compatible wheels (can be used with 8 ~10spd cassettes too by using a spacer) or are 10spd wheels ok? (can only be used with 8 ~ 10spd cassettes). Edit - This info is for Shimano & SRAM related cassettes; not Campagnolo.
    May as well be 11 spd compatible (using a SRAM Red 10 speed groupset)
  • Do you want the wheels to be oriented towards "aero" or "light"?
    Light
  • Do you want to use regular clincher, tubeless, or tubular tires?
    Regular Clincher
  • Aluminum or carbon rims?
    Aluminum
  • Rim brakes or disk brakes?
    Rim
  • Rear hub width? (120, 126, 130, 135MM)
    130 mm
  • Do you want adjustable loose ball bearing hubs (almost exclusively Shimano) or cartridge bearing hubs (almost everything else)?
    No preference

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
White Industries T11 hubs and H Plus Son Archetype rims. CX Rays if you're looking for an excuse to spend more but no real benefit. You'd most likely be okay with 20/24 spoke but as someone who's also about 140 pounds and rides farm roads I'd say 24/28 because there's not downside to a few extra.

Most important, if you go handbuilt, is finding someone who's good at it.

edit: Aside from just being awesome the reason I mentioned White hubs is because them come with a spacer so you'll be fine with 10 speed but if you go to 11 you'd simply take off that spacer.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I built up a bike earlier this spring. I was also thinking about the T11's but since I already have a set of White Ind. LTA's on my older bike, I wanted something different. Went with the Industry Nine hubs with DT Swiss bladed spokes (simply because the shop had them on hand vs having to order cx-rays)and the archetype rims. Very happy with the hubs and have no regrets about spending the extra money. They are very nice.

Was thinking about getting a pair of November Bike Rail 52s. If I do I'll get them with the WI T11's.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
White Industries T11 hubs and H Plus Son Archetype rims. CX Rays if you're looking for an excuse to spend more but no real benefit. You'd most likely be okay with 20/24 spoke but as someone who's also about 140 pounds and rides farm roads I'd say 24/28 because there's not downside to a few extra.

Most important, if you go handbuilt, is finding someone who's good at it.

edit: Aside from just being awesome the reason I mentioned White hubs is because them come with a spacer so you'll be fine with 10 speed but if you go to 11 you'd simply take off that spacer.
I think when it comes time to order, I will be getting them built by November Bicycles or possibly a local shop if I can find a good recommendation.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I think when it comes time to order, I will be getting them built by November Bicycles or possibly a local shop if I can find a good recommendation.
Shop guys don't build nearly as many wheels as shop guys did a few decades ago so be careful to search out a real wheelbuilder if one exists at a LBS. The November dudes probably build as many wheels in a day or three as most LBS wheelbuilders will build in a year since the advent of factory pre-builts.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
build 'em yourself.

i'm working on my ninth set tonight. i don't even have a truing stand. i just use the upside-down frame and the rim brake pads. (no rim brakes? use zip ties.) i'm almost to the point i can do it without checking sheldon's wheelbuilding page, but not quite.

sure, it takes me a while, but i got time. and i know they're nearly perfect.

what's the worst that can happen? you take the laced wheel to a shop for a major true?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts