Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have to do this all over again as I typed out this long post and then closed to window! Then I kicked my cat and restarted the war in Bosnia. Roar!

Anyways, I couldn't stop the itch to dump more cash into my Capo. Call me crazy.

First thing I did was flip the Thomson stem and what a difference that made. Love it. Lost the TTP and found myself a Phil Wood Fixed/free hub on the CL for 110 bucks then had it laced to a Velocity Deep V courtesy of the greatest wheelbuilder in College Park : Whatshisface Beardedguy. Picked up an Aerospoke bolt on the very next day and just today I picked up my Thomson seatpost to match the stem. I feel it's an improvement. I also dropped the front brake and started drinking lots of milk to help heal all the bones I plan to break. But I should be getting all the girls anyday now so it's worth it.

Soma 4x clips and straps are on the way (or so they say) and I'm going to be cutting the spacers out of my steerer tube someday soon. I also want to switch to a 1/8" drivetrain via Sugino Zen chainring and Phil cog. No rest for the wicked.

Also to be unveiled is my other CL find : Schwinn World Sport that the previous owner painted white around the lugs and black the fluting on the seattube, which I think is kidna cool. Is a bit small for me but it's my sidewalk bike/date bike and it manages these tasks just fine. The original wheels were the first to go and were replaced by Formula hubs laced to Velocity Deep Vs wrapped in Armadillo 700x28c rubber. Yes they are machined and no I won't be running a brake.

Came with these no-name risers that I chopped down a bit and threw some Oury grips on. Sakae stem and stock headset are buttery smooth. Yancopads to cover up some rather ugly cable guides until I find the time to file them off. Serfas saddle and original seatpost over a no-name 38t (I think, maybe 40...yeah 40t) chainring and some older Sugino cranks. Soon as my clips and straps get here it will get MKS pedals and clips Surly 15t cog in the back.

And lets not forget the folks at Visa and Mastercard who made this all possible and are honored here with my one and only spoke card.

Crazy like a fox!

Roar! again.

Hope you likes or, you know, hates.

Peace

· Registered
108 Posts
Those are clinchers.

And the front may look bigger because:

A: The picture angle.
B: It's a size 54 Capo and 54 and smaller Capo's have a sloping top tube.

Be careful with your Capo, I just cracked mine. Right before the weld where the top tube and seat tube meet. Boo Optimo tubing.

I've got something steel now, an Affinity, it's nice to be riding steel on the street again.

My setup was similar to yours, Aerospoke in the front, deep V to IRO in the back... Aerospokes are a good buy because they really are super strong... while being 4lbs and not very aerodynamic at all. Bu cheaper and almost as cool looking as a trispoke...

It was a sweet ride, 20lbs even and handled amazing. Climbed and Sprinted like a Cannondale should. Ran 49:16 ratio, was super fast.

Just couldnt handle my 225lbs and messenger work anymore. I

· Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
U'm gonna ride it up to the LBS and weigh it today. I imagine it will be right around 20 lbs.

It is a strange illusion that makes the front look bigger but it's the same Continental 700 x 23c on both rims. And the angle of the picture does make the TT look like it slopes but it is a size 56 Capo and I assure you it doesn't. The parking lot outside (as well as this area in general) is just nothing but hills and that was as level as I could get just before dark yesterday.

As for cracking the frame. That sucks man. I'm surprised C'dale didn't replace it under warrantee.

The BB that came with this thing has developed an awful rattle and I want to replace it with a Sugino 75 bb. I think I need a 68x109 BB. Any thoughts on these BB for this bike. Always respect the opinion of a messenger.

· Registered
108 Posts
I actually just cracked it on Thursday, so I'm going to figure all that out this week. I got it used from a friend so I have to see if he has all those papers and blah/blah... Although I'm almost urged to send it to them with a note attached saying "Use the original track tubing please next time, thank you!".

As far as the BB goes. I'm sure it would work fine with the bike .i think most messengers I know riding track are either on a Shimano or Sugino BB anyways. I had a Shimano on mine and had no problems. I'm sure the 75 one would be more than good enough for it.

· Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here it is on flat ground but before I put the Thomson on there.

And the chainline on the Schwinn.

One thing about the Schwinn is the drivetrain is totally silent where my Capo creaks and rattles etc. I figure upgrading the BB will fix much of it but is this a drivetrain thing or an aluminum thing. Truly though, now i see the allure of steel.

One thing to note about the Schwinn is that the chainring is 3/32" and the cog is 1/8". So I have a 1/8" chain on there. Do I have any problems to look forward to with this?

· Registered
108 Posts
When my chain was fresh and un oiled, my Capo was noisy as all hell. Before I bought the Aerospoke and had a deep V it rattled like crazy, beer can down the street basically... the aerospoke dampened a lot of it.

Make sure your chain is oiled and tensioned all the way, mine was silent as a mouse like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.