Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put up a post about wheel builders in the LA area, but I figured you might want to know what I'm planning on having made. Based upon recommendations here, reading Jan Heine's article on 15% tire drop c/o Lennard Zinn, my weight (200lbs w/gear), my bike weight (20 lbs), my avg speed (15 mph), and terrain (San Gabriel Valley Foothills), I decided upon this.

28 hole DT Swiss 240s radial front
32 hole DT Swiss 240s 3x rear (maybe 1x/2x non-drive but not sure it really matters)
Velocity A23 rims
aluminum nipples (not sure brand matters here) probably red
DT Revolution spokes

I was hoping to take my time to build them up myself but that really isn't going to happen now. Let me know if you have any other recommendation. Thanks again for all the posts. They have been very helpful.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
513 Posts
klyde said:
I just put up a post about wheel builders in the LA area, but I figured you might want to know what I'm planning on having made. Based upon recommendations here, reading Jan Heine's article on 15% tire drop c/o Lennard Zinn, my weight (200lbs w/gear), my bike weight (20 lbs), my avg speed (15 mph), and terrain (San Gabriel Valley Foothills), I decided upon this.

28 hole DT Swiss 240s radial front
32 hole DT Swiss 240s 3x rear (maybe 1x/2x non-drive but not sure it really matters)
Velocity A23 rims
aluminum nipples (not sure brand matters here) probably red
DT Revolution spokes

I was hoping to take my time to build them up myself but that really isn't going to happen now. Let me know if you have any other recommendation. Thanks again for all the posts. They have been very helpful.:thumbsup:
I have pretty much the same wheels as you propose with exception of DT Swiss RR 1.2 rims. Everything else, spot on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@mike I wish I remember where I read it, but someone who was about the same weight said that because there is no torque on the front hub and ~40% of my weight (80 lbs) was on the front, vs 120 lbs on the rear, I could safely and reliably drop a few spokes and go with radial. I currently have radial on my front wheel and had radial on my mountain bike before the move to disc brakes and they seem to have done fine. I guess there was some debate over using a straight gauge spoke for the front, so that the spokes wouldn't stretch on sudden hits, but I'm not sure that really happens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts