Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a meeting yesterday when my wife called. I didn't answer (caller id). Then my cell phone rang. I assumed that she assumed that I was at lunch and just wanted to chat. I ignored the call. Five minutes later my office phone rings again. I quickly realize this is not a social call. I answer and she says "I think I broke my arm". My wife tends to lean towards hyperbole and somewhat minor incidents seem to expand in her telling of the story. I said " re you okay? Wat happened? Do you need me to take you to the hospital?"

She said, "No need, I'm pulling into the hospital parking lot right now". 30 minutes later, she calls back and her arm is in deed fractured. This is the first broken bone that either of has ever had. Apparently hospitals no longer do the casting, so she was in a splint last night and will get a cast at the orthopedist today.

It appears to be a hairline fracture in her radius near the elbow. I'd guess her cast will go up over the elbow. Just curious, how long will recovery take. (I know this depends some what on the individual, I'm just look for general knowledge) She is a running fanatic and can't stand to be on the shelf for long. Can one run in a cast of this type?

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
She could probably run but it's probably not a great idea. What if she falls with the cast on? She'll only have one arm to catch herself with, and she might insure the broken arm even worse.

·
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
azpeterb said:
Man, sorry to hear about that. Hope she heals quickly.

How did she manage to break it?
She likes to buy things and then install them before I get home so that I don't say, "Take that back we don't need that". She is not handy and I usually wind up completing the installation of whatever it is that she bought as soon as I get home from work.

Yesterday, the Roman shades arrived to replace the perfectly good wood blinds that we had. She was standing on a chair taking the old blinds down and the chair shot out from underneath her. She's not real sure what happened next other than the fact that she couldn't use her arm to get up.

So you see, it was my fault for being an unhelpful tightwad.

·
What the what???
12,702 Posts
q_and_a said:
So you see, it was my fault for being an unhelpful tightwad.
Duh. :)

Seriously, though, I'm glad to hear your wife is okay. If she's an experienced runner, she should be able to run with the cast. Be careful finishing the Roman shade installation, though.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Ouch.

hope she heals up quickly.

No knowledge about the running thing, but, I will use this as an opportunity to point out that, to all of the text message haters: this is an example of a great time to text!

Remember having a pager, and adding "911" to the end?

·
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Opus51569 said:
Seriously, though, I'm glad to hear your wife is okay. If she's an experienced runner, she should be able to run with the cast. Be careful finishing the Roman shade installation, though.
Funny, she requested that I do this BEFORE I picked up her pain medication.

The shades are up and all is well.

She just called and has researched the running angle. She is going to request a fibreglass cast with waterproof inside. This may be the standard, but she's already worried about it.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
My dad had the exact same fracture in January, he got a splint held on with ace bandages for about 2 weeks, never had a hard cast. He went for one follow up with the orthopedic doc and the did nothing but re-wrap it, do another xray and charge him $300.

Tell her to heal fast.

·
Registered
296 Posts
how dare you be a unhelpful tightwad cuz you were at work.

i swear as a guy its our job to be everywhere at the same time.

hope your wife feels better

·
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DLMKA said:
My dad had the exact same fracture in January, he got a splint held on with ace bandages for about 2 weeks, never had a hard cast. He went for one follow up with the orthopedic doc and the did nothing but re-wrap it, do another xray and charge him $300.

Tell her to heal fast.
That would be cool. She already has the ace bandage splint contraption. Two weeks is doable.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
My dad's kind of a badass too, he didn't take a single painkiller or ibuprofen prefering to let his body heal itself naturally. His thought process is that his elbow swelled up as a defense and healing mechanism, no need to artificially stop the body's natural reaction.

·
slow rider
385 Posts
That certainly does suck, I still have 2 more weeks before they release me from my broken arm this summer. Sounds like she did exactly what I did, same area and type of break. I ended up just having mine in a sling for 3 weeks and am getting to rehab on my own. My biggest issue is I'm right handed and that's what I broke. Hope everything goes ok, but expect 6-8 weeks for complete heal time.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I would expect it to be 3 months. I have broken my arm 3 times now. (yes the same arm) and its been 3 months each time.

·
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, those are some long recoveries. Two weeks sounded much better.

It was her left arm. She is right handed, so this is less of a problem, but after 24 hours, she has not yet adjusted to the additional bulk or immobility.

·
slow rider
385 Posts
My doctor said the bone gets sticky at about 3 weeks, meaning he could start to see bone growth. He said I should have complete bone at 7-8 weeks and the more I started to use it the faster it would heal. Now I have to start working the muscle back to match the left arm.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
First off I hope she heals fast and well. When you fall you always reach out to stop yourself. Most common break is wrist and dislocated elbow because of the forces. I have much experience with this as I have broken each of my wrists 3 times in my youth while skateboarding and BMX. The fact that ii is a fracture and not a break is in her favor as far as recovery times go. The downside is fractures are usually more painful IME.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Argentius said:
to all of the text message haters: this is an example of a great time to text!
plus eleven bazillionty!

SMS is perfect for disambiguization of situations like this. srsly, it's a tool, use it like any other.

//good healing vibes to your wife! Oh and tell her don't stand on chairs, spend forty bucks for a friggin decent stepstool / stepladder for this kind of stuff, and use it properly.

Not to be alarmist, but the neighbour lady up the street when I was a kid broke her neck and became a paraplegic from exactly this kind of common home incident.

I made BoyToy buy a damn stepladder because he was a standing-on-chairz cheapskate fool when we met. Watching him clean the gutters by hanging off the roof was scary.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I had a radial head fracture when I was in college (25 years ago). They did not put a cast on it - I was told that doing so might limit my range of motion after it healed. But, maybe your wife's arm is broken in a slightly different location...

IIRC, I was in the sling for a couple weeks, and started using the arm gently soon after.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
Just to clarify, my dad took his brace/bandage off at 2 weeks, used the sling pretty much religiously for another 10 days or so and started weaning off it as the pain subsided. He fell the first few days of Jan I think and it was April before he could ride bike and May before he could comfortably golf again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts