Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i spent $120 on a pair of cycling bib shorts last night. that is the most i've ever spent on any article of clothing.

·
Opus was just napping
21,427 Posts
You could have put that money towards a mountain bike.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
I have more money wrapped up in cycling than any other "investment" other than my house and kids.......that doesn't make us nuts. How many pair of shoes does she have?

·
What the what???
12,711 Posts
I think it's relative. If you have the disposable income, it's not crazy. My wife would definitely think I was crazy, though...and I don't own a suit.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i own a suit - it was on sale and we had a coupon. and it's not a single article of clothing.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Not as expensive as you think; just consider going to a major theme park. It now costs about $150 for 2 people to just walk through the turnstiles, let alone the cost for kid tickets, meals, hotels and transportation.

Your $150 bibs equal just as much if not more fun, will last more than the 12 hours or so you would be in the park, and a LOT less stressful!

Cost analysis is so much fun! My wife would counter with a Nashbar catalog showing me bibs for $60 and ask me why the $150 bibs were better. I would have to justify that difference too; having a wife with an MBA makes things interesting at times!

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
If you consider a well taken care of pair of cycling shorts (or jersey) will last several YEARS it's a pretty reasonable expense. I've got bibs that are 10 years old that I still wear on occasion, the leg grippers are a little looser than they used to be but nobody has complained to me that they are see-through when the sun is shining on them right.

·
Good for you!
419 Posts
Money that is spent on anything that will improve your fitness or health is always money well spent in my opinion. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
472 Posts
For me I'm willing to spend a little more cash for bibs, shoes and helmet if necessary. Not crazy money but comfort and functionality take priority and this usually means spending more. But still, my wife thinks I'm nuts regardless!

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
I bet your wife wouldn't think twice about spending $120 on a nice pair of shoes or some other clothes would she?
We each have our own money and separate accounts. At no time would I ever tell my significant other how to spend her money, and I expect that she won't worry about how I spend mine. I'm the one working my arse off to earn it, if I wanted $225 bibs and I had the money I'd buy them, regardless of what she thinks. Heck spending over $20 for a haircut is too much to me, but she'll drop $60-$75 without a second thought.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
asciibaron said:
i spent $120 on a pair of cycling bib shorts last night. that is the most i've ever spent on any article of clothing.
I remember asking my wife for a pair of Assos bibs years ago for a b-day present. She had no idea they were $200. Bought them anyway. I'm still not convinced they are worth $200, but they are nice. Actually I think they cost more than that now.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
You should have poasted a poal so that we could vote on if we think that you a crazy.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If always use the "if we want to have kids someday..." line... works like a charm :thumbsup:

Plus she knows cycling keeps me sane and in an agreeable mood.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Shorts

I never pay a lot for them, but, especially (and paradoxically) if one does not ride very often, expensive ones, to a point, can make all of the difference.

People talk about how Performance and Voler bibs are great -- Um. yeah, about that.

I've gotten a couple of screaming deals on high-end Castelli bibs, and, it IS a world of difference.

There's nothing wrong with the mid-level stuff, but the higher end feels a world better.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
your nuts

asciibaron said:
Depends. If $80 shorts make your butt sore, then by all means try the $120 shorts. If they don't do any better, then your nuts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts