Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
I'd be inclined to think that it's legit.

Why?

1. The fastback seat cluster is pure 3Rensho. The way the stays are cut into the seat lug, the tapering of the lug point along the top tube, etc.

2. The bottom bracket shell looks identical to every 3Rensho I've seen. That "shelf" between the chainstays is signature 3Rensho.

3. The long, tapered lug points look nothing like what I've seen on any Miyata-built lugged Specialized. Yoshi Konno, on the other hand, was known for this.

--Shannon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
i'm inclined to agree, too.

My opinion is based on the one piece chain stay bridge, and I know for a fact that 3Rensho built frames for Specilaized in the early 80's. Otherwise, it it is tought to tell. The seat cluster looks like it could be, too. But the threaded seat post binder into the lug , is the only thing I find suspect. Any markings on the dropouts? Or, a tubing sticker? The production Allezs did reference 3Rensho. Lug work looks like classic Makino-san.

In any case a beauitiful bike, with only one bid! Wish it were a 54!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
yeah, it was designed by San Rensho. i once sold one of those bikes on ebay and one of the high up guys in Specialized e-mailed me to tell me the history and to tell me that i would get more if mentioned who designed it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
this was a production bike for a year. they guy at Specialized said that their bikes were being built in Japan already and they decided to have 3Rensho design (and possibly build--dont remember) the top of the line model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
vdubbusrider said:
yeah, it was designed by San Rensho. i once sold one of those bikes on ebay and one of the high up guys in Specialized e-mailed me to tell me the history and to tell me that i would get more if mentioned who designed it.
So it is not a prototype. Was it in production it any point? What did the guy from Specialized tell you about its' history?
thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Given your knowledge...

vdubbusrider said:
this was a production bike for a year. they guy at Specialized said that their bikes were being built in Japan already and they decided to have 3Rensho design (and possibly build--dont remember) the top of the line model.
what do you think of the buy-it-now price?...I really want a 3rensho or a Lotus Record to fill out my stable but this looks like a good fill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Djudd said:
what do you think of the buy-it-now price?...I really want a 3rensho or a Lotus Record to fill out my stable but this looks like a good fill
i dont see a "buy it now" price on it. it's kind of hard to say with those components. the one i sold just had standard old Dura-Ace. this bike has all Aero components with "allez" written all over them. i think mine sold for about $500. this will certainly go for more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buy-it-now was $850...

vdubbusrider said:
i dont see a "buy it now" price on it. it's kind of hard to say with those components. the one i sold just had standard old Dura-Ace. this bike has all Aero components with "allez" written all over them. i think mine sold for about $500. this will certainly go for more.
It's apparently been changed..perhaps I'll just wait for what I really want..although it is a very pretty bike..thanks for your patience
peace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
Hold out for a Katana!

Djudd said:
what do you think of the buy-it-now price?...I really want a 3rensho or a Lotus Record to fill out my stable but this looks like a good fill
Although this is a beautiful bike with the AX group and pantographed bits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
Authoritative source

As taken from the message posted from ebay.

"Your bike is definately a 3Rensho SRA Frame, as evidenced by the Konno aero wedge Bottom Bracket shell. The first of these Frames was shown to me in Tokyo in May 1982, Yoshi built my first road frame to those specs. You will notice the Ishiwata aero stays, round main tubes, the Konno Aero Fork crown and Fork Blades. I have never seen one in the Specialized Livery. This is indeed a special bike worthy of any good collection. Dave Grylls"

For those of you too young to remember, Dave Grylls won a track world championship back in the 70's or early 80's on a 3Rensho. I would take his word for it.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top