Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so after 8 months of riding my Surly crosscheck I get a pinch plat in the rear. I change it get home adjust the pressure and boom! Another flat.The inner tube failed right next to the valve.

I can't find anything sharp on the inside of the rim, but just to be cautious I take an old inner tube and tape it into place around the valve. A few weeks have gone by and I noticed the front getting low.

I pull the tire and inner tube investigate and find a thorn inside the tire. No problem I patch it slap it back in inflate and boom! I blows out right next to the valve. I place a little section of inner tube around the valve area of the rim and inflate a new inner tube. As I am rolling out of my driveway boom! another brand new tube fails right next to the valve.

The only peculiar thing I notice about the tube is that it appears to look like sausage links when inflated.

My set up is Salsa Delgado Cross rims with an IRC Mythos CX 42 up front and a Ritchey Speedmax 35 in the rear. It boggles my mind that I went months without a problem and all of a sudden my bike is layed up because I can't get a tire to hold air. I am currently using road tubes, should I switch to a hybrid tub because of the volume?

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks.

BBJ

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sausage links?!!? Might be your tube is too small. If over-inflated, you'll get failure at the weak points. Tube could be getting really thin. Try a 700 x 35 tube. I'm running Mutano Raptor 44's on my SS and had the same problem. Got better with the new larger tubes...

Good luck, B

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Just wanted some confirmation on this one. For some reason I kept remembering a guy who used road tubes for his 29er. As a matter of fact I only knew that because I watched him change a flat. Now it all makes sense.

·
More cowbell!
2,729 Posts
1) Use the correct size tube for your tires

2) Make sure the bead is properly seated all the way around before bringing the tires up to full pressure

3) Sweep your fingers around the inside of the tire before inserting a new tube to make sure there are no thorns, pebbles, etc. causing your repeated flats.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
If you have been using road tubes all along, I'm not sure why they would suddenly start to fail. Appropriately sized tubes can't hurt, but it sounds like a rim or rimstrip issue.
Only other thing I can think of is I once had an issue with a kevlar belt unravelling and a piece of kevlar wire caused flats.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Replace your rim tape. I had the exact same thing happen to me a few yrs ago where I'd get a flat damn near every time I rode. Turned out the rim tape wasn't covering the valve hole all the way and the exposed rim was cutting the tube. You might try to file down the edge of the hole just a little bit too.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Big Baby Jesus said:
Ok, so after 8 months of riding my Surly crosscheck I get a pinch plat in the rear. I change it get home adjust the pressure and boom! Another flat.The inner tube failed right next to the valve.
Did you change these flats and inflate them with a mini pump? It's easy to yank the valve around while you're thrashing away at it with a frame pump and cause the failure that you're having.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used a floor pump each time. I am pretty sure it was trying to get the road tubes to stretch for me. I didn't make it to the shop today I went out for one of those epic mountain bike ride I think I left my body for a little while. Now all I can do is eat and watch the tour with my feet up on the couch. I would have been much better off on the cross bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.