Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Myth - "Tubeless cannot pinch flat"

Test - Specialized S-Works Turbo mounted on HED Ardennes +. Pressure = 90 psi, Rider, 205 lbs. Obstacle - Really crappy rail road tracks. Speed, <11mph.

Result - Immediate sound of air escaping. Close inspection shows cut in sidewall caused by tire compressing down onto rim lip. Fortunately no rim damage.

Status of Myth: BUSTED

I was able to put a tube in and boot the tire to finish the ride. Sucks to have ruined a $95 tire that only had ~300 miles on it. It was a crazy scene as no less than 15 people were stopped 20 yards from the tracks fixing pinch flats. The organizers we stupid to take that road and even more stupid to not post warnings.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,426 Posts
Probably not. On the other hand, when I pinch flatted the mtb tire, I shoved a tube in and was riding just as hard again in a couple minutes. Puncture a tubular, and you're having to ride easy on the new tire the rest of the ride (you do carry a spare with you, right?)
Sometimes 2, always pre-glued.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,449 Posts
I once saw someone pinch both of their tubeless tires over an unavoidable pothole. Sidewalls were slashed and unpatchable. He had to call for a ride.

If you see train tracks, you slow down so you can cross over them without flatting. If you fail, YOU misjudged the train tracks.

Better yet, I always get up out of the saddle when crossing tracks as this lessens the load. I have yet to ever pinch flat over RR tracks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.