Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the whole roadie thing.. been MTB'ing for a while.

I've got an opportunity to purchase a used cannondale.. the bike is a 2002 r2000 caad5. It has the stock ultegra components save for the brakes (don't know whose those are), ksyrium sl wheelset, easton carbon seatpost and stock carbon fork/headset. The frame has been repainted a cool-looking metallic red.

I don't know how many miles are on this thing.. I was also led to believe the bike was a 2003 caad7 until cannondale guessed at the manufacture date to be July `02 based on the serial number.. the chick I talked to wasn't quite sure.

the original owner wants $800 for the bike. To the naked eye it looks fine.. no dents, cracks or the like. The wheels are showing their age with some peeling paint on the spokes and decals.

Is this a worthy purchase? Do i need to worry about the frame breaking on a frame this old?

Thanks for your help.

· Registered
1,894 Posts
Based on your info the bike is a few years old and Caad 5 is not a bad frame beside you don't know much about history of the bike I would stay away from it, reason is should any thing wrong with the frame you are not cover under warrenty replacement, there goes $800 bucks out the door. Save your money and go with a new bike instead and that is my 2 cents.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got off the phone with a better contact at cannondale.. It is indeed a r2000 caad7 based on the build date (july `02) and the fact that the seatstays are an hourglass shape vs. straight. Based on this new information I think I've got a pretty decent deal on my hands so I'll pull the trigger on it.

· Registered
1,894 Posts
Cannondale offered the hourglass stay since Caad 5 design I hope you are happy with the decision.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wouldn't the fact that it was a caad7 make a difference in the price? I just want to make sure I'm not getting screwed. I am a little concerned that two different people at cannondale would give different answers but the person I talked to today seemed very sure of what they were talking about, last night not so much.

Assuming it is indeed what the seller and the cannondale employee I talked to today says it is.. would $800 be a good deal?

· Registered
638 Posts
Yea I agree thats a little high. One thing I can mention about when I got into roadbikes is that a Cannondale CAAD might be a little rough on you for being new to roadbikes and that roughness can be pretty discouraging when youre just starting out. Im not one of the guys that says cannondales are unridable and harsh but they are very rigid compared to other bikes. Check out some specialized or fuji's. the fuji bikes are great for the price and anything with carbon seatstays and a slightly less aggressive geometry will probably let you put in the miles you want for your start on roadbikes. My first was a Lemond Versailles which is a mix of carbon and steel. Lemond and Bianchi both make some great bikes with steel frames that are super comfy. Just beware of how you fit on a lemond, the sizing is very strange compared to other bikes.

· Registered
638 Posts
Also to help with your used value of the Cdale. You can get into a brand new Cannondale Caad9 or Scott Speedster for $1199. That being said a two model old cannondale is probably not worth the $800. And speaking of the Scott Speedsters go to Scottusa.com and check them out. I just bought one about a month ago and found the frame to be almost as fast as the caad but far better for long rides. Its a hydroformed frame with a massive headtube and downtube.

· Registered
1,894 Posts
Mileages & frame condition are the main concern but if you already made up your mind roll the dices and go for it.

· Registered
481 Posts
neilster1 said:
I just got off the phone with a better contact at cannondale.. It is indeed a r2000 caad7 based on the build date (july `02) and the fact that the seatstays are an hourglass shape vs. straight. Based on this new information I think I've got a pretty decent deal on my hands so I'll pull the trigger on it.

I'm curious- why you're asking everyone's opinion if you've already made up your mind?

· Registered
1,894 Posts
+1 good replied.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I thought I had a CAAD7 on my hands I knew I had a pretty good deal. When the seller gave me more information that made it possible the frame was a CAAD5 i came here to ask opinions and I got good ones.. that a CAAD5 wouldn't be a good deal, and I appreciate that. I didn't stop my research on the frame and I found it to be exactly what the seller represented it to be, so the whole question in my head became moot.

Thanks for your responses. I do indeed appreciate it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.