Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has acetone and all this other crap in it.

Or do you guys use Goo Gone or 100% pure Acetone?

my first dip with tubies so I want to do it right.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
I'm not a tubular expert, but nail polish remover is essentially overpriced acetone.

Unless they happen to try to add moisturizers or other girly stuff, which can't particularly help your cause, and might bring real problems.

·
Registered
21,726 Posts
The best solvent for most tubular glues is toluene (aka toluol) or xylene (aka xylol). These are aromatic solvents and are far more effective than somethink like acetone. If you go to your local paint store and read some labels on paint thinners you can look for "aromatic solvents" which is what classically toluene is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lots of people recommend lots of different solvents to get tubular glue off. I had some concern about exactly which ones may or may not damage rims, so even though I don't have Zipp rims I am following their recommendation. They state anything other than acetone or Goof Off (not Goo Gone) will void the warranty on their rims. I'm sure others are fine as well, but figured I might as well play it safe.

I just used Goof Off and it works, but still requires a bit of time and elbow grease-it was not quite the magic solution I hoped it would be.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I use Xylene. Nasty stuff, but more or less set it and forget it. A big tin container from the hardware store will last you awhile. I pour a bit into a tin disposable baking pan (from the grocery store), set the rims in there, let them soak a few minutes, wipe off, turn, soak another section, etc. If outside doing yard work, I set it up and check on it evey 10 minutes or so. Very little elbow grease needed and the stuff basically eats glue. Then I wipe down with acetone and then soap and water to get all residue off.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for the late reply, internet was out for like a week.

Anyways, during this time I bought 100% acetone. Let me tell you, it doesn't really work that well.

Goo Gone kinda works, but I'm either going to soak it like in the Zinn article, or try a heatgun at this point.

The glue from the previous owner has been contaminated into a layer about 2-3mm thick. It's gonna take a long time...

·
Registered
21,726 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, internet was out for like a week.

Anyways, during this time I bought 100% acetone. Let me tell you, it doesn't really work that well.

Goo Gone kinda works, but I'm either going to soak it like in the Zinn article, or try a heatgun at this point.

The glue from the previous owner has been contaminated into a layer about 2-3mm thick. It's gonna take a long time...
Again, get some aromatic solvent (toluene or xylene), soak a bit into a rag, and rub the glue right off. These will not damage the rim - you're not soaking the plastic in the solvent.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
The best solvent for most tubular glues is toluene (aka toluol) or xylene (aka xylol)..
Unfortunately for me, both these are banned in Calif. It varies by "air pollution control district" (I think), so obscure rural regions of the state are possibly exempted.

Nearly all the "good" formulations of auto body paints are banned in Calif, too.

Next time I find myself in Nevada, I'm going to stock up on xylenes, toluene, & naphtha!

·
Registered
21,726 Posts
Unfortunately for me, both these are banned in Calif. It varies by "air pollution control district" (I think), so obscure rural regions of the state are possibly exempted.

Nearly all the "good" formulations of auto body paints are banned in Calif, too.

Next time I find myself in Nevada, I'm going to stock up on xylenes, toluene, & naphtha!
Have you looked on the shelves of your local paint store? You might find a paint thinner that contains aromatic solvents. Obviously I've never done that in CA but it's worth a look.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Have you looked on the shelves of your local paint store? You might find a paint thinner that contains aromatic solvents. Obviously I've never done that in CA but it's worth a look.
In So Cal, the paint/hardware stores only sell minerals spirits, acetone, alcohol, and lacquer thinner.

A typical lacquer thinner is made of:
Methanol 15-40%, Toluene 1-5%, Acetone 10-30 %, naphtha 15-40%, +misc

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I take it the rims are metal?
If so I'd take a torch to them in a heart beat, std method for cleaning glue from all manner of things that don't combust.

·
Registered
21,726 Posts
In So Cal, the paint/hardware stores only sell minerals spirits, acetone, alcohol, and lacquer thinner.

A typical lacquer thinner is made of:
Methanol 15-40%, Toluene 1-5%, Acetone 10-30 %, naphtha 15-40%, +misc
That might work - at least it's worth a try. Naptha has a very broad definition and may contain enough aromatics to make it work. Clearly methanol and acetone won't do much good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.