Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do you think Phil and Paul purposely pronounce the rider's names differently, is it some sort of "I'm more right then you" competition between the two?

I don't find that though nearly as annoying as Bob Roll's pronunciation of Contador. Seriously what is wrong with him.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Phil is legendary for his pronunciations...some classics:

RALLLL AL-kala

MIG-WELL Indurain

Gert-Jan TERNISSER

:D I dig Phil LEEEGETTT!

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
They're just English, that's all.

Don't forget Yo-SHEE-buh Beloki. (It's Spanish -- Joseba should be Hoe-SAY-buh)

·
Registered
235 Posts
JCavilia said:
They're just English, that's all.

Don't forget Yo-SHEE-buh Beloki. (It's Spanish -- Joseba should be Hoe-SAY-buh)
Beloki was not Spanish! Never say that to a Basque!

Neither Phil, bless his twisted English tongue, nor Paul, who at least tries, has yet to get remotely close to Fuglsang!

"...FULLS-gang"

It's FOOGLE-sahng, boys. Or, just call him "Birdsong".

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Basque

Italophile said:
Beloki was not Spanish! Never say that to a Basque!

Neither Phil, bless his twisted English tongue, nor Paul, who at least tries, has yet to get remotely close to Fuglsang!

"...FULLS-gang"

It's FOOGLE-sahng, boys. Or, just call him "Birdsong".
And I should know better, having grown up in northern Nevada where there were lots of Bascos around. And I will concede I may be wrong about the pronunciation because of my erroneous assumption that it was Spanish. Something like yo-SAY-vah may be closer. Apologies to Phil and to the sheepherders' descendants of Reno and environs ;-)

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
What I find fascinating is, despite the fact that both are "native" speakers of the Queen's English, how often they butcher it.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Richard said:
What I find fascinating is, despite the fact that both are "native" speakers of the Queen's English, how often they butcher it.
I don't think they butcher it at all. They speak gramatically, and in complex sentences, and they (somewhat deliberately) use a lot of colorful expressions. They Anglicize the pronunciation of foreign names, as the English in their superiority have always done. Things get garbled occasionally, as will happen with any speaker improvising commentary on fast-moving events, but I hear no butchery. I thoroughly enjoy listening to both of them.

·
Registered
482 Posts
How many different pronunciations does Phil have for Voeckler? Somewhere he's found an "i" in there. Hummer over anglicising Contador makes me cringe. You can add a little pronunciation without feeling like castanets are going off in the background.

Cpk said:
Do you think Phil and Paul purposely pronounce the rides names differently, is it some sort of "I'm more right then you" competition between the two?

I don't find that though nearly as annoying as Bob Roll's pronunciation of Contador. Seriously what is wrong with him.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
All I know is I cringe every time Phil or Paul refers to Cunego as the "Petit Prince" with what is I presume a French accent although I think it's an Italian nickname.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
All I know is I cringe every time Phil or Paul refers to Cunego as the "Petit Prince" with what is I presume a French accent although I think it's an Italian nickname.
LOL... I thought the same thing... Why are they pronouncing what was originally an Italian nickname for an Italian rider in French?! It's been bugging the hell out of me.

I noticed Phil has not been giving us his best Liggetisms. I think he's become too self-aware of them now.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
The proper pronunciation of Cunego is Coo Ney Goh. They both keep saying Coo nee Goh. Drives me nut and I'm not even Italian nor do I even have a second language.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,282 Posts
Wazco -- Actually, Cunego is pronounced COO Ney Goh, with the emphasis on the first syllable. The guy's ancestry is supposedly German. The name Cunego comes from the German surname Koenig, or King.

Something I learned in my linguistics classes and in my travels: When it comes to proper names, all pronunciation rules are off the table. You just don't know how a person's name is pronounced until you hear the person say it. You just don't know how a place name is pronounced until you hear it from a native speaker.

Language is a mixed up crazy world.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Yes, and it should be Il piccolo principe pronounced "ill PICK-o-lo PRIN-chi-pay". Bob Roll gets it right.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
ti-triodes said:
Isn't there a Liggetism thread around here this year?
I think Paul had the best Liggetism yesterday, when Moreau was taking some mountain points, and Paul said he was "tickling at the rear end of Charteau in that competition." Funny, but the mental image was troubling.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Mapei said:
Wazco -- Actually, Cunego is pronounced COO Ney Goh, with the emphasis on the first syllable. The guy's ancestry is supposedly German. The name Cunego comes from the German surname Koenig, or King.
I'm not sure about the accent in Cunego, since most Italian words accent the penult, but the German origin is right. He hails from the Alto Adige region, north of Verona, where most of the natives were German speakers until fairly recently. The region has only really become bi-lingual, with signs in Italian as well as German, in the last few decades.

Since it's the Tour de France, it doesn't bother me to hear "petit prince." Has a nice ring, and the book has pleasant associations.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts