Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

· Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states what is the worst thing that has been thrown at you while you have been riding, I have been spat at, 1/2 bottles of coke, cans of booze.
What have you had.

cheers

Ralph

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Dead Chicken

I was leading the paceline when a pick-up truck passed us and the passenger threw a chicken at me (farm country of course). Hit me right in the chest, the guy behind me got a face full of feathers.

· Registered
273 Posts
A bottle was thrown at us from a car, which hit my friends bike, shattered, and cut his legs. We got the plate number and called the cops. Turns out the guy actually turned himself in later that day - I guess he wisely thought that if the incident was reported he would rather go in on his own than be picked up somewhere. My friend pressed charges at the "suggestion" of the cop.

· Government Mule
1,328 Posts
Full water bottle of the Polar variety hit my front spokes and was thrown by a driver going the opposite direction. Only suffered temporary damage to my chamois. I suspect he is one of those cheapazzes who refills those bottles with tapwater.

· Administrator
13,152 Posts
MB1 said:
I was leading the paceline when a pick-up truck passed us and the passenger threw a chicken at me (farm country of course). Hit me right in the chest, the guy behind me got a face full of feathers.
Cue the commercial jingle "I feel like chicken tonight, like chicked tonight. . . " :arf:

Of course, if you remember this commercial you're old too.

· go up
653 Posts
A golf ball thrown from a pickup - hit my left hand, hurt like hell.
A can of coppenhagen thrown from a pickup - barely missed my head.
Something unknown, sounded like a rock, thrown from a pickup - missed.
A large coke dumped in my lap from the passenger window of a car.
An empty beer bottle - missed.
A couple plastic sprite containers - both missed.

I love the south. . .

· Registered
97 Posts
Wife got hit in the face with a raw egg. The egg cracked and ran down her face. Scared the he!! out of her, she thought she was bleeding.
Friend got hit in the back with a bag of frozen shrimp. We could get together with MB1 and plan dinner..

· Registered
960 Posts
A handful of BlackCats firecrackers....
And then about 20 minutes later, they came back again with M-80s...
Fortunately we were in town at that moment, and the cop that witnessed the whole thing
had the teenage asswipes pulled over, and was patting them down on the side of the road about a mile later...

Me and the buddy who actually had one of the M-80s bounce off his handlebars didn't stop, but we sure laughed hard enough to waste the rest of the training ride.

· Registered
656 Posts
a vanilla milkshake from Jack In The Box, thrown from a car on PCH last summer. the lid popped off in mid-air, and i watched it float past, about 3-4 feet in front of my face, almost like it was in slow-motion. they missed, but i'm pretty sure that dried milkshake would be a b1tch and a half to clean off of a bike. (let's hope i can never confirm or deny that!)

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
deadlegs said:
A golf ball thrown from a pickup - hit my left hand, hurt like hell.
A can of coppenhagen thrown from a pickup - barely missed my head.
Something unknown, sounded like a rock, thrown from a pickup - missed.
A large coke dumped in my lap from the passenger window of a car.
An empty beer bottle - missed.
A couple plastic sprite containers - both missed.

I love the south. . .
Thats horrible, yet we're supposed to project a positive cycling image to motorists :mad:

As for me, I was hit with an ink pen in my side (not tossed, but thrown)

I was screamed at in my ear by a passing motorist (scared me, and pissed me off)

Screamed at in the dark by some punks in a yard. (on my night commute)

A half coke bottle that was thrown at me and missed (sailed over my head close enough to whistle in my ear before bouncing in the road shoulder) If it hit me it would've killed me - was'nt wearing a helmet.

· I drank what?
3,240 Posts
Chipmunk

Well actually it wasn't thrown at me. The poor little guy ran out into the street right into my front wheel. The thing flew up and hit my hand and handle bars. But, it didn't seem to be hurt too bad though because he kept running to the otherside of the street.

Luckly nothing else has been thrown at me while riding to my knowledge. Although, I've had stuff thrown at me while standing on the side walk. I was getting ready to walk into a bar one night and an egg got tossed at me from a moving car. The thing hit me on the side and bounced off without breaking.

· Registered
602 Posts
couple things

I was going to say that the WORST thing thown at me was a Wendy's 'BIGGIE' cup full of ice, but looking back it was kind of hot out so was kind of refreshing.

I guess the worst thing was a lit cigarette butt flicked at my face (using the thumb and index finger....zzzzipp!!). As it hit my temple it nearly burned my eye!

· Registered
180 Posts
ralph1 said:
As the title states what is the worst thing that has been thrown at you while you have been riding, I have been spat at, 1/2 bottles of coke, cans of booze.
What have you had.

cheers

Ralph

Yikes! I have never had anything thrown at me. The worst thing that has hit me was some gravel. A semi that was passing me had some gravel spray up from its tires. Wasn't the drivers fault or malicious in any way, it was just a crappy road and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. My left arm had a lot of little bloody red spots on it...

· Registered
46 Posts
M-80, condom

I've also had an M-80 thrown at me from a pickup, but that ended up kind of cool. The backwash of the pickup sucked the M-80 back into the road, where it blew up under a monster SUV (tinted windows, low-profile tires, light bar, the whole blingbling deal). When the two went over the hill in front of me, the macho SUV was on the scrawny red pickup's bumper, all lights on and horn blowing. Gotta love instant Karma ...

But the worst wasn't thrown at me. When I was a teenager, I rode my bike to the mall and locked it up outside. When I came back, someone had put a condom over the mouthpiece of my waterbottle. It was unrolled ... I tossed the bottle into the trashcan.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.