Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I am not aero
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new pair of shoes, but I've recently come to understand that I have weird feet - narrow heel and a wide forefoot. I have used Lakes and standard Sidis (not Megas). The Lakes are nice in the toe box, but wide at the heel; the Sidis are good at the heel, but too narrow in the toe box. Haven't been able to try on the Sidi Megas, but I'm concerned that they will be too wide at the heel. Anyone else got feet like these? Which shoes should I be trying on?

To top things off I also have a moderately high arch and a metatarsal problem. I am currently solving the arch issue with Sole inserts, but I need something with a metatarsal bump. I've been considering the Specialized Body Geometry insoles for this - anyone with this problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Take a look at Carnacs

If you can find a pair to try you might want to take a look at Carnacs. They traditionally have a little wider forefoot. I can't speak to the narrow heel, but can tell you that they grip mine better than the Sidis and also accomodate my wide forefoot. They are a real quality shoe IMO that often gets overlooked because of the massive dominance of SIDI. I am currently using brand new M5 Carbons for the road and have a pair for MTB (can't remember the name of the model) that just refuses to wear out after thousands of miles of abuse.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
carnac lemonds/legands were exactly that - narrow heel, wide toebox

no longer made, but you can probably find them on ebay

jeff262 said:
If you can find a pair to try you might want to take a look at Carnacs. They traditionally have a little wider forefoot. I can't speak to the narrow heel, but can tell you that they grip mine better than the Sidis and also accomodate my wide forefoot. They are a real quality shoe IMO that often gets overlooked because of the massive dominance of SIDI. I am currently using brand new M5 Carbons for the road and have a pair for MTB (can't remember the name of the model) that just refuses to wear out after thousands of miles of abuse.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
baking3 said:
I'm looking for a new pair of shoes, but I've recently come to understand that I have weird feet - narrow heel and a wide forefoot. I have used Lakes and standard Sidis (not Megas). The Lakes are nice in the toe box, but wide at the heel; the Sidis are good at the heel, but too narrow in the toe box. Haven't been able to try on the Sidi Megas, but I'm concerned that they will be too wide at the heel. Anyone else got feet like these? Which shoes should I be trying on?

To top things off I also have a moderately high arch and a metatarsal problem. I am currently solving the arch issue with Sole inserts, but I need something with a metatarsal bump. I've been considering the Specialized Body Geometry insoles for this - anyone with this problem?

Thanks!
Yeah, if you are anything like me, the Megas will be too wide in the heel. They're just "supersized" all over and don't quite work for me. But I've had good luck with Northwaves. I bought a pair of Carnacs, too, and they were in the ballpark but never felt completely "right." Both those manufacturers (Northwave and Carnac) in addition to Lake are the main shoe companies with reputations for extra forefoot room.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Specialized Road Comp fit great for wide feet

I think I have a narrow heal too but I've never really noticed. I know that I didn't like the Mega. Just didn't feel right.

I've owned a couple of Carnac Quartz's before but my toe nails always hit the top of the shoe. If I could have fixed that problem I would not have changed shoes.

No, I must say I'm quite anal when it comes to shoe fit and I have found that last year's Specialized Road Comp shoe fits like a glove. I ordered a pair of yellow ones off their website since I couldn't find another pair in the store. I found what works and am sticking with it.

Try them out and hopefully they'll work for you.

Regards,

Sean

·
Registered
274 Posts
Shoes

I have a Morton's Neuroma on my left foot and have tried many different shoes as a result. I also need a wide and high toe box and narrow rear. After trying many shoes I have settled on the Shimano TR 02.These are the Shimano triathlon model. The reason these shoes work for me is that they acept my custom orthodics with metatarsal pad nicely, and the toe box is both wide and high, I also have hammer toes to boot! The heel is snug and the fabric over the tops of my toes is both breathable and flexible so it does not rub against the tops of my toes. I wear thee shoes without socks, they are made to be worn without socks, they have a nice lining that is soft against your ankle. Anyway, I highly recommend looking at and trying these shoes, they have a carbon sole as well. I have tried the Specialized body geometry insoles but the problem is that the metatarsal pad is not in the correct place for my foot problem, it might work for you. Otherwise, you can purchase an adhesive backed metatarsal pad, contact a foot doctor for a source, and apply it to an over the counter pair of orthodics or have custom ones made. Good luck.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Shoes

I have a Morton's Neuroma on my left foot and have tried many different shoes as a result. I also need a wide and high toe box and narrow rear. After trying many shoes I have settled on the Shimano TR 02.These are the Shimano triathlon model. The reason these shoes work for me is that they acept my custom orthodics with metatarsal pad nicely, and the toe box is both wide and high, I also have hammer toes to boot! The heel is snug and the fabric over the tops of my toes is both breathable and flexible so it does not rub against the tops of my toes. I wear these shoes without socks, they are made to be worn without socks, they have a nice lining that is soft against your ankle. Anyway, I highly recommend looking at and trying these shoes, they have a carbon sole as well. I have tried the Specialized body geometry insoles but the problem is that the metatarsal pad is not in the correct place for my foot problem, it might work for you. Otherwise, you can purchase an adhesive backed metatarsal pad, contact a foot doctor for a source, and apply it to an over the counter pair of orthodics or have custom ones made. Good luck.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I, too, have duck feet. I love my new-ish Carnac mountain bike shoes (and the Northwaves I had before them were not bad) I've got old Vittoria Raiders for road shoes...they are a little big in the heel, but not terrible.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have the same upsidedown triangle feet as you

In addition I have neuromas in both feet and have very narrow heels and wide flat forefoot like you the Sidi Megas were way too big at back of foot. I used Norhtwave Evolutions for years until the neuromas required me to get special orhtotics. I have been on the same quest as you for 2 years. Interestingly am currently sing a pair of Nashbar Wide Shadow Road shoes (made by Lake) that fit well byt have laces under the velcro and are god aweful heavy.

I tried on a pair of specialized shoes in a store and they were 99% there but the toe box is jusy not quite wide enough but the rest of the shoe fit well.

I suggest finding a store to try n a pair then they can get you the model you need sinc ethey have a few different levels.

I have yet to try the Carnac M5' Wide's but they are next on my list. So there are 2 suggestions that jibe with what the others have recommended here.

Good luck. Pease report back if you find something that fits the bill!

Nik

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have used Sidi Mega's in the past, but am now using DMT Kyoma shoes. Due to the nature of the micro-fiber material they use, they don't constrict, and it's a great fit around my wide foot. No troubles in the heel cup at all, but my heel may not be as narrow as yours. Check them out if you have a local retailer near you.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Have you tried the Sidi's in half sizes? They are supposed to be the same length as the whole size, but have a wider toe box.

·
I've got to get in shape.
282 Posts
Rocket 7 is the way to go!

Like many others here, I've got the wide forefoot/narrow heel/neuroma dilemma. I tried almost every shoe on the market including various Nikes, Sidi Genius (Mega and standard width), Carnac (Legend and Diagonal), even Diadora, all to no avail. Then I got a pair of Rocket 7 custom shoes and I've never looked back. They were hideously expensive (and still are), but are worth every penny to me. Mine have lasted for about seven years now and are still going strong. Do yourself a favor and get a pair. I had to find the money to buy them (including "stretching the truth" to my wife about the cost), but I would gladly do it again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm interested in picking up this thread again to hear if anyone has additional thoughts on shoes that work well for narrow heel/wide forefoot feet (plus a super-high arch). My Carnac Matrix are not quite right, but I am reluctant to drop >$500 on new shoes. On the other hand, if custom is the best option, I'd prefer to know before I buy and suffer through several more pairs of uncomfortable shoes. Have people had good luck with the Rocket 7 "stock sizing" or have they gone full custom? Any experience with D2, LUST, or others?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Need to try them so start looking for stores

I've always had a hard time finding wide shoes. Carnac Lemonds, later Legends were the first I found that fit. Very well made but heavy. I then went to Northwave Evolutions. Much lighter and great in the toe box. I now have four pair and extra interfaces which have become impossible to find. Currently using Mega's. Despite what other people say, I don't find the heal area to be overly wide. Just my foot's shape. Another one I've tried and liked is the Shimano R-215 wide. Really well made, really stiff, kind of expensive.

Key is to try them on.

baking3 said:

Thanks!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have a wide forfoot and narrow heel, probably not as extreme though, and wear Shimano M225 shoes which fit ok. (had the same issues as the OP with SIDI)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Women's shoes?

co2cycle said:
I'm interested in picking up this thread again to hear if anyone has additional thoughts on shoes that work well for narrow heel/wide forefoot feet (plus a super-high arch). My Carnac Matrix are not quite right, but I am reluctant to drop >$500 on new shoes. On the other hand, if custom is the best option, I'd prefer to know before I buy and suffer through several more pairs of uncomfortable shoes. Have people had good luck with the Rocket 7 "stock sizing" or have they gone full custom? Any experience with D2, LUST, or others?
Have you tried any women's specific shoes? Women typically have narrower heels than men, and higher insteps, so women's shoes tend to have a bigger ratio of forefoot/heel width as well as higher insteps than men's shoes.

·
Registered
919 Posts
boneman said:
I've always had a hard time finding wide shoes. Carnac Lemonds, later Legends were the first I found that fit. Very well made but heavy. I then went to Northwave Evolutions. Much lighter and great in the toe box. I now have four pair and extra interfaces which have become impossible to find. Currently using Mega's. Despite what other people say, I don't find the heal area to be overly wide. Just my foot's shape. Another one I've tried and liked is the Shimano R-215 wide. Really well made, really stiff, kind of expensive.

Key is to try them on.
The newer Carnacs (M5, helium, etc.) have less wide toe box than some of the older models, but the latter (somtimes NOS) often show up on eBay at attractive prices. You might just luck out; winter bidding on shoes is not exactly competitive.

·
Registered
491 Posts
co2cycle said:
I have the same foot problem but with a normal arch. Andy Pruitt told me I was one of the few people who actually need custom shoes. I tried Lust first but they didn't even come close to fitting. Now, I'm trying R7 full custom (plaster cast, not the foam crush box).

I'd avoid shoes with carbon fiber hulls like Lust. The CF "uppers" were quite painful and dug into my feet (I pronate). Another problem is that the lack of leather uppers means the shoes are a bit loose no matter how tight the straps are. Some people get used to it but the sliding around led the toenail trauma.

·
Registered
14 Posts
At my LBS one of the employees mentioned some new shimano shoe that you put in an oven or something and then it gets vacuum formed to your foot. Sounded cool but I know nothing else about it other than what I just said.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts