Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Narrow road tires for Clydesdales?....

5K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  paipo 
#1 ·
I've been running Panaracer Pasela 700x35 tires on my Lemond Poprad. For less rolling resistance, can someone of my size (230#) run narrower tires, like a 700x23 or x25? This would be for pavement use only. Thanks for all replies.
Smokey

#2 ·
Go to 25s at the narrowest. Some good tires (Vredestein Fortezza, Michelin Pro Race, Continental GP4) are available in this size.

I am using Michelin Dynamic ($15, wire bead) in 28mm on my Jamis Nova with fenders for my winter training, no complaints. I am 160 lbs, no problem running these at 70 psi.

#3 ·
Michelin Pro Race

I use the Michelin Pro Race in 700 x 25 and it's a very comfy tire, and still light weight. They can be hard to find in shops but search mail order. BTW the Michelin 25 is comparable to a Panaracer ~30 or so--Panaracers are notoriously narrow for their rated sizing.

#4 ·
OK to go 23

I'm 230lbs. most of the year and ride 700x23 all the time. NP. But, I run at 110 or higher to avoid pinch flats. If you're really anal retentive about the tire pressure and check it every ride, you'll be fine. I love the Vrdenstein Fortezzas for durability and toughness.

I used to run 20's but really pinch flatted way too often.

You could consider a 28 in back since that's where most of your weight is carried anyway, but not necessary.

#5 ·
If you watch where you ride, you can get away with 700X23. If you sometimes watch where you ride, you can use a 700X23 in front and a 700X25 in back. If you seldom watch where you ride, put a 700X25 in front and a 700X28 in back.

#6 ·
Don't go too narrow...

I personally would go with a 700x28c front and back. You would be OK with a 23c tire but the 28's will ride and roll better, corner better and last longer in general. Plus you will not pinch flat as much since there's more air in there. Sure they're a bit heavier, but on a Poprad (or most other bikes), who cares?

Skinny tires are WAY over-rated.

#8 ·
700x25s

i am only 190#, but i switched over to 700 x 25s on the wet roads this winter and i really like them - they ride great and feel much more solid on the wet and when cornering. i put the 700 x 25 fortezza roads on one bike and bontrager x-lites on the other and i am going to stick with them this summer.

i agree that skinny tires are over-rated. when i pump the fortezzas up to 120+, i don't think they have any more rolling resistance than the 22s i used to have.

#9 ·
27 mm is a good minimum for a rider your size...

smokey422 said:
I've been running Panaracer Pasela 700x35 tires on my Lemond Poprad. For less rolling resistance, can someone of my size (230#) run narrower tires, like a 700x23 or x25? This would be for pavement use only. Thanks for all replies.
Smokey
If rolling resistance is the issue, wider is better, all things being equal. Sounds counterintuitive, but it's true. The reason your Paselas feel slow is not because they are wide, but because they are heavy, and they have a thick and fairly aggressive tread pattern. They are touring tires, after all, so that shouldn't surprise you too much.

For a faster tire, that will still offer good comfort and rim protection, try 700 X 28 Continental Gatorskins or Ultra 2000s, 700 x 32 (actually a 28) or 700x35 (32) Avocet FasGrips, 700x27 or Panaracer / Rivendell Rolly Pollys or Ruffy Tuffies. All have garnered favorable opinions from those I trust. I've never used any of them personally, as I doubt that any but the RP / RT would fit my bike, plus I've gone back to tubulars on my road bike.

--Shannon

#11 ·
another vote for Michelin Pro Pace 25mm

I switched to them a few months ago and love them, was using the same in 23mm prior, weigh 195. No flats so far and a much more comfortable ride. They are big for a 25mm tire FWIW, have seen 28's in other brands that look smaller...

#12 ·
Ken2 said:
I use the Michelin Pro Race in 700 x 25 and it's a very comfy tire, and still light weight. They can be hard to find in shops but search mail order. BTW the Michelin 25 is comparable to a Panaracer ~30 or so--Panaracers are notoriously narrow for their rated sizing.

What pressure do you run the 25 tires? How much do you weigh?

I run Pro Race 23 tires and was contemplating the switch for training.

#13 ·
Never been happy with <28mm...

I'm about 230 pounds, too, and I've tried everything from 20mm on up. I'm using the same 35mm Paselas you are for most of my riding now, and I don't plan to change except for a couple of smooth-road centuries this summer. Whenever I've gone below 28mm (labeled, usually they're quite a bit narrower), or below 32 spoke wheels, I've had constant problems.
On my rims, a 700x32 Pasela measures a hair over 25mm wide, and a 700x28 is about 23. They're such good tires for all-around use, and so cheap, that if I wanted to go skinnier I'd probably use those.
You might also look at Rivendell's RolyPoly or RuffyTuffy tires (www.rivbike.com). They're about $45 apiece, though.

#18 ·
Two Ponys

Well I am not a Clydesdale, but my wife and I weigh in together at 260 lbs on our tandem. We run Michelin Pro's 700x25 rear and 700x23 front both at 120psi. This are for fast, hard training rides on paved roads. We have also had good experience with Michelin Axial Carbons.

#19 ·
Tower said:
and I'm 240'ish.

Specialized Armadillos in 23 have been indestructable. No flats in several thousand miles.

They're not the fastest or the softest riding tires out there, but I'll take a rougher ride over flats anyday.
I, too, weigh 235-240-ish (and dropping :) )...fearing the dreaded pinch-flats of yore, I had my LBS switch the 23mm tires that came stock on my RoubaixComp27 triple to a 25mm of the same design (SpecializedAllConditionPro) before I took delivery...I inflated the tires to an indicated 115psi f/r...so far, so good after ~100 miles of decent road surface...this is the most sophisticated and comfortable roadbike I've ever owned with its vibration/shock absorption technology, but I may drop the front pressure by up to an indicated 10% for even more balanced ratio of comfort/performance/efficiency...still, 115psi with these tires on this bike is not a harsh feeling ride at all for this re-entry newbie...I may eventually drop to a 23mm when I reach 200lbs (probably no worthwhile measurable mechanical advantage for a recreational clydesdale like me for the switch, just another 'goal/reward' like a CF bar/stem or cool new shades...personal mind games, really :D )...am I on the right track with my way of thinking (tire-wise/pressure-wise)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.